what is the difference between

Luthern and baptist? and even southern baptist?

we were raised baptist. . .until I was about 10. then stopped going to church. my brother is now luthern, and I am just 'christian'

I know God doesn't really care what you call yourself. BUT I want to find a church home. and I just can't seem to get into it with the non.demon. churches.

so. . any insight??? i've done the quizes online, and they creep me out with the results. lol weird huh?? haha

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Why do you need to find a religion? Christianity is about having a personal relationship with God. with reading the word and applying it to your life. Honestly why not got to God and ask him to show you what kind of church to go to . You will be surprised that he knows the answers to everything !
    enmaynard

Answer by enmaynard at 6:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The differences mostly is about the little things... baptism for example...I'm Methodist and they tend to use the sprinkle method while Baptist use the full dunk...they believe in the same Bible (although some demoninations have more or less books, Catholic Bible has more than the Bible we use at our church), believe in the same God...its the little things.

More importantly is finding a church that is a family not what the name on the door is... The church is there to help support you and help you learn and grow...not label you. Find one with a worship style that fits YOU...contemporary, traditional, formal, relaxed they are all there...its just a matter of visiting churches until you find YOUR fit.

I was raised Methodist and when looking for a new church visited about 10 different churches until I found the one that 'felt' right to me. Visit some websites...and read their belief statement and find one similar to you
    tiggerrrt

Answer by tiggerrrt at 9:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I go to a General Baptist church. I know there are extremes in every "religion". I feel like our church runs along the lines of the Bible more closely. My whole family is Lutheran and they seem to be more like the Catholics with all of their traditions. They also seem more strict and have more "rules".

I don't call myself anything other than Christian. I just find that I agree more with the Baptist religion than any other.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't know much about the Baptist faith, but I was Lutheran and depending on the Synod you are involved with they can be very laid back to the point of having female Pastors to old school (German strict) real close to Catholics but not as many Saints...

You would have to explore different types of these churches to see if you are interested...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The diff in mainline churches is the traditions and government of the church. Most if not all mainline churches believe in Christ as fully human and fully God and one third of the trinity of God, the other two parts being God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. We also believe Christ whom was sinless died on the cross, for our sins and 3 days later rose fron the dead, was seen by many mortals on earth, and will return in the future as a victor over Satan and rule forever.
    The diff is in governship priests, bishops, etc who are appointed Catholic, Lutherns etc. Elected by majority withelders and deacons, Presbyterians. More laybacked would be who ever takes leadership in the church with church aproval. Traditions every Sunday communion or once a quarter or variations on such. Baptising, dunking, sprinkling and something in-between. The are also diet and clothing rules that seperate the denominations. Don't fret about
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 12:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• traditions and government choose a church that meets your needs and that of your imediate family. Pray, read your Bible, and enjoy all your church has to offer and participate as you feel lead. Make friends and try to involve your children in the church and its programs as much as possible and as they want to be involved. Good luck and God bless in your search.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 12:48 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Suggest doing some research....online, library, speak to different pastors of each...Then go to God's Word (the final authority)...See what God's Word says. This is how He speaks to us today is through His Written Word. Search the scriptures, ask for God to reveal His Word to you. And guide you to a church where you can get plugged in and learn...grow in the grace and knowledge of His Word.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I believe in the Bible. I believe that your church should be as much like the church we learn about in the Bible. There are definite examples that tell us what a church should and should not be. There are definie instructions and examples of the right baptism, leadership, involvement, giving, etc. This belief may not be popular but it's what the Bible teaches. The Bible tells us there is one Lord, one faith, and one baptism (Eph 4:5). It can be so hard to find a church these days! We have a home church. Our Bible studies are phenominal, in depth discussions. We try to do things as much like the original church as possible. We believe in baptism (dunking) like Jesus did it. We make perfection our goal and love our standard. I hope you can find a place that is striving for what God wants, not what is fun, or makes us feel comfortable. Church is for the worship of God, not how it makes us feel. God bless.
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 10:28 PM on Feb. 25, 2009