Why are you against universal and/or socialized medicine?

Let me start out by saying I am what most would classify as a conservative/republican. I'm a registered democrat only because that is what i picked when i was 18 and had no idea what they meant. I am prolife, progun ownership, anti welfare, foodstamp and entitlement programs. I think there should be some safety net for people losing jobs and such, but I think our welfare system is ridiculous. I am pro "take care of yourself and don't expect me to do it". That being said, the one thing I AM for that goes against probably every other repub is universal healthcare. We give our citizens police, fire, and rescue when they need it. Paramedics and EMT's. Why are we not giving these people the same care when they enter the hospital doors? I find it repulsive that in THIS country, the land of opprotunity, your whole life can come crashing in with one cancer diagnosis, or major disease. con't.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not view this as my tax dollars being wasted. I would rather my tax dollars go to healthcare for everyone, instead of welfare for the lazy. I do not like Obama. I do not like what he has done, I did not vote for him. If socialized medicine were enacted I would be out of a job. But I still am for it. Is the US so afraid to admit that the rest of the industrialized world got it right and they are wrong? If other country's systems are so bad, why do they live longer? How lower infant mortality rates, less disease, obesity? I work at an insurance company. I have denied many people insurance. I have to detatch myself just to get my job done. Who wants to tell a mother that you are denying her 5 year old child insurance because he can't digest wheat proteins, or because of their asthma? Our system is corrupt. I have an inside look of that. I could tell some stories. But I want to hear from others. Why are your for or against??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• As with all government programs, bureaucrats underestimated initial cost projections.

As with all government programs, there are concerns of bureaucrats rationing healthcare. Currently United States has greater access to advanced healthcare

Nationalized Healthcare allows bureaucrats to determine WHO get medical procedures, leaving the aging left waitin in line for surgeries. 

Because when Government gets involved, people are not human, they are a number

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• We have exponentially more people than nations that use uhc, and even in those countries with their tiny populations, taxes to cover it are outrageous, starting at a total taxation of 35% for the poorest of the poor because of all the assorted taxes levied against them. About 12% of that is just healthcare taxes. We would require exponentially more people to run the bureaucracy of those programs, so there's no way we would get out with only 12% for the lowest bracket, and that's on top of the 10+% everyone already has. Put that in perspective - double the amount already taken out of your check today.
    And for that, you receive substandard care. If you doubt that for even one second, go to your nearest VA hospital with your sinuses clear and then go to the Medicare wing of a nursing home and count the number of patients to nurses.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am against Universal Healthcare, and I, myself have a son who is self employed in the family business, and currently has to pay out the waazoo to see a doctor for minor things like sinus. And at the same time really needs surgery for a hernia, but can't or won't put the money aside.

The Government doesn't and won't provide better healthcare for our citizens. It might be care, but not the best care. Like the previous poster stated, just ask anyone in the military. You are simply a number, herded thru, no emotion, just going thru the motions. I didn't care for it and often questioned whether the doctor was correct, when we were Navy. Lots of mistakes were made.

If our government wanted to create a small healthcare system that people would apply and qual for, then I might consider, but how would this huge undertaking be funded? Thru more higher taxation of who?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:15 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• In order to fund a UHC program, we would need to ELIMINATE critical things such as our military and NASA, and much of our individual state infrastructures--these are the kinds of things that OTHER socialized countries do NOT have--which is why they rely on us to help them!

And if socialism is so wonderful (meaning health care), then WHY do the people of those countries come HERE for treatments, and why do our doctors and specialists go to other countries to provide free lifesaving treatments and surgical procedures (Doctors Without Borders)? And these very countries are actually moving away from socialism in favor of capitalism--because capitalism works!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• continued...A novel idea might be to get rid of stupid spending in our government and transfer those funds to pay for healthcare for our country's poor and uninsured. But who is going to give up their program dollars? humm..? No one. We want to scream "care for the poor" but NO ONE will give up the tax dollars THEY receive.

In our family, when we want to purchase something special or buy something that is needed we either have to MAKE more money, OR stop spending in one area and transfer those funds to the new area. Wow! What a concept!

The government is already taxing us into the next decade, so why not take to the streets and say "Lets stop ridiculous spending and put money where it is needed!!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• To answer your own question, look into any other facet of life that the federal government has taken over. Look at all the waste, abuse, bureaucracy, politics involved and then ask yourself if you want these people to be in charge of when, where and how much health care you can receive. Remember, too, that anything you get from them always comes with multiple strings attached. For whatever you get, they will take away a whole lot more.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Here is another [personal] example. My husband is military. THe military computerized the medical records for AD [active duty]. Well my husband went to the eye Dr for a lasik prep surgery and they couldn't find his medical records. NOTHING. They have no record of him INCLUDING up to basic training, 18 years ago!

Now, do you want the Government handling your medical records?

I don't. For 7 years I have been paying out of pocket for me and my girls to see civilan Drs. When this most recent "govt run healthcare" drama occured~ I was grateful it wasn't my youngest who has undergone constant medical treatment since she was born.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Once a Nation goes to Socialized or Universal Healthcare there IS NO GOING BACK. If this country is heading in that direction and the people allow it thinking they will have free healthcare in the same fashion they were previously accustomed to, there will be a stark reality to face. Universal healthcare is in noway any reflection of what the U.S. provides it's citizens with.
    Scary? Chelsea Clinton is now working on her Master's of Public Health Studies and continues to work with Public Health environments. Now just where in the hell do you think she is headed??
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• On the upside, Hillary and Bill are very smart, they would not be putting Chelsea in a position to "run" for office on another Healthcare platform if they thought Obama's plan would work. IF Hillary and Bill believed Obama's program for healthcare reform would be socialized medicine in 4-8 years they would be educating her in something else.
    But Public Health? Yeah, she can run and win an office on that platform when the U.S. still has privatized healthcare. Democrats will still believe they need it and want it.
    jmho
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2009