Do you think President Obama should overturn a Pentagon ban on media taking pictures of coffins of U.S. troops returning from battlefields?

ASSOCIATED PRESS :At least two Democratic senators have called on President Barack Obama to let news photographers attend ceremonies at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware and other military facilities when military remains are returned to the United States. Obama told reporters Monday he was reviewing the ban.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/184102

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think they should be allowed. We, and everyone else needs to see what is happening.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I can't see any way these pictures could benefit the American Public.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No, I don't think he should. That's a private moment for a family. If it was my husband, I know I wouldn't them taking pictures of his coffin or of the funeral.

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 7:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think it should be up to the families whos loved one is in the casket at the time. Seems pretty odd to me that our governement is making the decision for them.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 7:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• because to many people forget that we have men and women in war and losing their lives everyday. People do not think of them and just go like nothing is even going on, if they saw that maybe they will understand things.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Anon:We, and everyone else needs to see what is happening.

Happening? There is a coffin with a flag draped over it and a bunch of mourning family and friends. Why do you need to see that?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't think the media should be allowed to attend the actual funeral (unless the FAMILY invites them), but I think the media should be allowed to photograph the flag draped caskets when they arrives back in the US and up until the memorial which should be kept private.

People do need to be reminded of the sacrifice these young men and women have made so that we can continue our freedoms. I also think video and documentaries of 9/11 should be played on a 24/7 loop with every anniversary that rolls around to again remind people that there are some really bad people out there who want us wiped off the map! It's a reality that did not start with GW Bush!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with lorikeet
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 7:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My husband said it's the most somber, bittersweet moment-when those hero's come off the plane. I don't think the media needs to be involved because they'll probably just screw it up with slanted reporting or incorrect info like calling a Marine a soldier. I know I wouldn't want cameras flashing if I was there waiting to receive my family members body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't know about this one. For once, LOL, I'm stumped. I think that if it were one of my sons (and I have 3 in the military, 1 in Iraq now, and one just returned home 2 weeks ago) I might be offended that there were people taking pictures, at the same time, I wonder if it would keep the war in the front of peoples minds if civilians see the price paid.

On the other hand, when my father passed away a few years back, our very large family all piled into the room when the nurse said my dad was taking his last breathe along with all of us kids, and my mom, and when it was all over, I was mad that they all had to "come see death". On the other hand, we are seeing a coffin in a picture, not a body, and sometimes a proud name that goes with that coffin. On the other hand, misinformation...see? I need some compelling arguments here. lol
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2009