Strange case of the stomache flu!

My 14 month old has been throwing up and having diarrhea for going on 7 days now....but heres the thing...it started last wed. then all day thursday she was fine. Then it came back friday, then she was fine all day saturday. It's finally tuesday and shes back at it again. I haven't called the doctor because she hasn't ran a fever and she's fooled me 3 times that she was over it! Does anyone have any helpful advice for me as to what to five her to drink/eat. Should I call a doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It can last up to three weeks on and off. That happened here about a month ago with my two boys and it was hell. When it did come back it wasn't as bad as the prior time. It should lessen each time. Their pedi did prescribe them generic version of Zofran to stop the puking. It was really bad at first. You can call just to see what they say and be on the safe side. Don't feed her until she stops puking ( I think an hour after). When she does puke give her something to drink after because she has a better chance of keeping it down. Give her clear liquids. You don't want her to get dehydrated but it can happen no matter how much she is drinking if she is puking a lot and having diarrhea. My son had to go to the ER and get an IV. He was really bad. Hope she gets well soon.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I should also say, they told me to give them toast, rice, bananas, applesauce, soup and mashed potatoes.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Watch for dehydration first and foremost.

When she vomits, don't give anything for at least 2 hours. Then start with water...a couple of ounces then wait for 10 minutes. If that stays down, give another couple ounces and wait for 10...if that stays down, give about 4 ounces and wait for 20minutes and repeat if no vomiting. (if she vomits at any point here...start over)

The vomiting has to be under control before you can do anything for the diarrhea. After she has gone for at least 6 hours without vomiting (or even dry heaves) then start with some toast or crackers...bland and starchy. If that works...starch and carbs to help bulk up the diarrhea. No fruit, no juice, no gatorade, no pedialyte (the sugar in those drinks make diarrhea WORSE)

Nothing greasy, nothing fatty, etc for a week or so...until there is NO more vomiting or diarrhea. (no chicken nuggets, no fries, no fish sticks...even baked are greasy)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I SAY YOU GOT GREAT ADVICE FROM THE FIRST TWO.. LADIES.. LISTEN TO THEM.
    JESUSCARES4YOU2

Answer by JESUSCARES4YOU2 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009