How do I get my cat to stop Meowing?!?!?!

I love this cat so much. I know probably what happened but not how to make him better... and I am going insane. He doesn't cry at like say 4am but he does follow me EVERYWHERE and cries outside the kid's doors before 8 am. (I have witnesses to his crazy meowing... It's not in my head, lol)

We moved about 5 months ago. Before that we were living with my ILs and there were three other cats to keep him company- one of which had been ours for as long as he had at our previous duty station. We could only have one pet here where we are stationed now. And I am pregnant. He wants ON ME- my belly mainly all the time. And the crying seems to get worse the further along I get. He has food, water, litter box basics... and actually quiet a bit of play/love time. What else could I try?? I know it's our fault but is there anything we can do to make him feel better? Ease the stress? Help!

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 8:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Is the cat fixed? We had a cat that meowed at all hours of the night got him fixed and he was still lovey cuddly but the meowing stopped.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i cant answer that how do you stop a dog from meowing? seriously we have a puppy and when she whines she meows like a cat
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• He's fixed. And it does seem to be more related to pregnancy than the move... although that might just be wishful thinking. It hasn't been going on super long. But I googled it this morning and read that some people have this problem for YEARS. Yikes! My babies need their sleep :) I'd rather find a way to calm him now before I go insane, lol.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 8:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• try a squit bottle filled with water. they say it works but IDK??? I have one out of 5 that is exteamly vocal like that. drives me NUTS!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:07 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Is he just lonely? I know that you said that you can only have one pet, but if you get another cat and keep him indoors only, will they know? I have an extra needy cat and he became even more needy when his companion cat died. He cried a lot for a while (maybe a year) and now he is attached to me....he needs to be touching me at all times. Sometimes it drives me crazy, but then I also look at him and think "he literally loves me unconditionally and doesn't take it personally when I put him on the ground because I need my space". He also starts meowing (very loudly) at 8 pm and 6:30 am on the dot every single day. That's what time he wants to be fed! If I don't do it, he just screeches louder. He has hard food in his dish, he wants his canned food. Total pain in the butt! We have had him for 14 years, so there's no training him now to be different.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think your kitty is needing more attention lately than normal. He is missing his cat companions. My cat meows and "talks" to me and I can tell the difference in her meowing.
    Trying having a cuddle time in the evening with him only.

I found these tips on the web, however I think your kitty has had some changes in his environment. I actually had my cat on prozac earlier this year due to some major changes in the household. When I talked to the vet any One of them could have contributed. I'd give him more attention. IT COULD BE WORSE> He could choose to stop using the litterbox which is what happened to our cat.

....continuued
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Constant Meowing
    Some cat species meow a lot more than others (e.g. Siamese), but all do it to get your attention. And while most just do it when they want something in particular, some cats just meow constantly and for no apparent reason. This can be a major problem, especially if it occurs at night or early in the morning when you're trying to sleep.

Stopping Contant Meowing
    Firstly, make sure that your cat isn't meowing due to an illness or medical problem. Cats do meow to communicate, not just to demand things, so illness should be ruled out first of all.
    However, most cats who constantly meow are doing so because they're trying to tell you something. Please bear in mind that your cat doesn't meow just to annoy you and the quicker you can figure out the
    reasons for the noise, the quicker it will stop. Here a few a few things you can try:
    Feed on a regular basis. Try and feeding your cat at set times
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Feed on a regular basis. Try and feeding your cat at set times/regular intervals so they can anticipate when they're next going to eat. You can also try leaving down the dry cat food/biscuits so that your cat can nibble whenever they get hungry. However, if you cat has a tendency to over-eat, this may not be wise.
    Play. Some cats meow a lot because they want some attention and affection. Stroke and play with your cat often to keep them from feeling lonely or neglected.
    Discipline. Don't let your cat drive you round the bend with excessive meowing - take charge. You can either ignore them which will eventually make them stop if you don't give in (very hard to do!) or you can try the old favourites of a squirt with a water spray or a firm 'NO' and a clap of the hands. Eventually your kitty will realize that constant meowing will get them nowhere. Please ensure you remember to praise your cat and give extra attention to them
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Take him to the vet. It's possible he has something else going on causing him to do that. If he's in perfect health, the vet will be able to give you advice on the meowing :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I totally agree with bluejaylady and Renee for suggesting a trip to the vet just to rule out medical issues such as a UTI (very common in male cats) or ear infection (not very common in cats)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009