Is My Daughters Attendance Policy To Strict?

My daughters school is over the top about attendance. If she walks through the classroom door one minute past 8:30 they mark her as tardy and three tardies is an unexcused absence. They sent me home a letter saying they want to have a meeting with me or they will get other people involved. I feel the letter is semi threatening. My daughter goes to school everyday and when she is sick I make sure I call in and let them know she doesn't feel good. This somehow isn't good enough. Her teacher also points a finger at her in front of the other kids and tells her she is always late. Goodness my daughter is only six for goodness sakes. I'm not a fan of this school and I'm not really sure how to handle this situation. All advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!

tagansmybaby

Asked by tagansmybaby at 8:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Advice- Get her there on time! They are preparing her for the real world early. Thats a good thing. :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• PLEASE DO NOT take this as bashing or being a bytch, but if your daughter is late often enough that the school wants a meeting and is threatening to bring others in on this what you need to do is set the alarm 15 minutes earlier.Or if she takes her time getting ready set a timer for each activity she needs to do in the morning to get her moving along. I know it is hard to get kids ready and out the door in the morning, but it is also important for her to be on time for school. When kids are late it disrupts the whole classroom, the whole class looses the time it takes her to get settled in.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with what others have said. She needs to be ready to begin at 8:30, not running towards the door. I'm sorry you feel threatened by the staff and the letter, and you should address that with the administration. But I disagree with you that their policies are over the top. It sounds like your child's tardiness is causing a regular disruption in the classroom.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree you should make sure she is there on time. My daughter is 5 and in Kindergarten. It is a pain in the ass to get everyone out the door and she is sooooo slow at everything! I have to keep reminding her that we only have x minutes left before we leave. My daughter goes to year round school so the year started on July 15th and she has only had 2 tarties since then.

On the other hand I am a believer in keeping a sick child home. My daughter was throwing up and having diarreah and it only lasted 2 days but it got passed on to me, my husband and my son so I kept her home the whole week since it was still in our house. It was horrible and I didn't want to change passing it on to her whole class. That was my choice and alot of people may not agree but I would rather have the school mad at me than get the whole class violently sick. I did make sure we were still doing work while she was home though.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Kids need to be trained for real life, which means learning to be on time. I don't think the policy sounds too strict at all. Wake up earlier and get her there on time.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh and my daughter's school wants them there at 7:55, in class at 8:00, 8:05 is tardy. I pull up to the school at 7:45 every morning!
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No, their policy is not too strict. My kids have the same policy at their school. And they start at 7:45. In high school, I would say this is on her. By then, she's old enough to get herself up and ready without help, and after 16, to even drive herself, if you allow it. But, she's 6. So, unless she rides the bus and the bus is making her late, I'm afraid this problem rests with you. You need to get her up earlier, or find some way to keep her moving forward when she gets up so she is ready to leave on time. One minute late may not sound bad to you, but when you think about that she is one minute late, interrupting the teacher who has already started, has to take however long to walk to her seat, put her stuff down/away, settle into her seat, get stuff out, it can all add up to about 5 minutes of lost class time. An entire class losing 5 minutes of instruction time, teaching time, or work time is a big deal.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• her school police sounds like ours. but when our kids are late you have to walk them into the office and sign them in. So if they are tardy you can mark down why.
    I have to say that if your daughter is only 6 and having trouble getting to school on time its only going to get worse as she gets older. And when our kids are late 3 unexcused tarties they get in school detention. the next time they get an unexcused tarty the parents get fined no notice just a fine. my step daughter is late a lot when she lives with her mom.

Also do you think its fair to the children who get there on time to have their class room time interrupted with kids coming in late.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• NO! The school is not too strict, YOU need to be MORE strict!

I have two special needs children that I get up, dressed and fed, pack lunches, go over homework EVERY school day, and get on the school bus by 7:15 AM!! They have not been late or missed a single day of school yet!

The school is simply preparing her for LIFE. It is your job to continue this concept at home in EVERYTHING she does--not just school. What about going to afterschool activities, attending a special event, a job?! Why should her (or your) poor planning or lack of concern for others be excused...because she's only 6?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The word is TARDY or TARDIES not TARTIES!!! ugh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Feb. 24, 2009