10;00 at night

my friend keeps her daughter out till 10;00 11;00 at night...even on school nights.my daughter tells me its not my business but i am concerned..my question i guess is what effect does this have on the the child except for the fact that the child is awfully tired???she never goes out side and has play dates..she is just weird.i just think emotionaly this kid must be lacking in something i dont know?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is this kid?

Chronic fatigue can lead to a lot of health problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• How are her grades? THAT would be the biggest thing that would be affected by being so tired! What is it that this mother is doing until that hour--do I dare ask?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with the first poster....a body NEEDS sleep! Where does this parent take the kid? If she is partying or something like that. then that's not right! She needs to grow up and be a MOM not a child herself!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 8:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I wish I could give you some advice. Maybe if you see something in writing about kids needing their sleep, cut it out or e-mail it to her. I have a friend like that too. It's frustrating!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think more info is needed about the situation before it can be answered to the best of any of our abilities. Children need a regular sleep pattern. But not all kids are the same. my oldest was a good sleeper. my middle on needed more sleep than the average 8 and my yungest who is 8 has a bedtime of 8 read for half an hour then lights out at 8;30 but he is not a good sleeper and will be awake many days unti 10pm.
    orbitlynn

Answer by orbitlynn at 8:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Honestly, I have a friend like that. Her daughters grades are excellent. I feel I am not getting involved, everyone has a diffrent way of parenting, and are not going to be like us. You should only be concern if she is failing, or parting with the kid. Then make suggestions otherwise, you should let them be. :( Sad to say.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 9:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• the way I see it is that is her child. If she thinks it is okay to have the kid out that way then that is on her.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have kept my kids out that late even though I try not to but never on a school night.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• How do you know that the child isnt getting enough sleep? Maybe she has a nap after school?

Our ancestors probably didn’t satisfy all their sleep requirements in one, lengthy nocturnal sleep bout. Instead, people probably slept for a few hours at a time, awakened for an hour or more, and then slept again. In other words, nobody—not even adults—were expected to “sleep through the night.” This was the pattern in pre-industrial Europe (Ekirch 2005), and it’s still the pattern in many non-Western societies today (Worthman and Melby 2002).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Feb. 24, 2009