my hair is falling out in handfulls what should i do

after i had my daughter my hair started coming out in hanfulls literally does anyone have any ideas about a diffrent kind of shampoo or something?

111807mom

Asked by 111807mom at 9:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Hair may fall out after a pregnancy or surgery, but yours sounds more than normal (I am not in the medical field, this is opinion only.) Get a checkup to make sure your hormones aren't out of whack. You doctor will also be able to advise you about shampoos.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My bet is that if you just had a baby, you are nutritionally deficient. Are you taking prenatal vitamins? Are you breast feeding? Are you eating enough/eating appropriately? These are all things that can affect your nutritional balance and most likely the source of your hair loss if it seems to be associated with having the baby. If I were you, I would contact your doctor. They may want to run some blood work. It could be other things as well, but I won't get into that and worry you unnecessarily. I would start by looking at your nutrition and see if/where it is lacking. Good luck.

PS. I don't think changing shampoo has anything to do with it.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 9:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• mine did the same thing, but i thought it was normal because i always lost a more than normal amount of hair even when i wasnt pregnant.. now my DD is 9 months and i have these wings on the sides and tuffs in the back. But yes see your doctr to make sure everything is ok
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Sometimes this is a lack of potassium. Try eating a banana a day.
    Julez1973

Answer by Julez1973 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• oh my daughter is fifteen months its been a while since i had her but i will definetly talk to my dr and let him make sure my hormones arent out of whack thank you all
    111807mom

Answer by 111807mom at 11:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Sometimes, a woman can develop chemical sensitivities after pregnancy. I did, to sodium lauryl sulfate, the main ingredient in most shampoos! I was really losing hair fast when I stopped using a sodium lauryl sulfate-based shampoo and switched to something with decyl glucoside or cocamidopropyl betaine surfactants. I saw improvement almost immediately. That's my story, check with your doctor!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 1:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Use Silk Elements Products (any thing that says silk elements).. they work!!
    Polo66

Answer by Polo66 at 5:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009