autism?????

my granddaughter started off really fast.going along really good...now she seems to be regressing.she doesnt say to much?doesnt vocalize.just seems kind of behind.seems to be in another world.(boy i hate to say that)my daughters husband had tourettes and also still has add. my daughter had just mild learning dis...i am worried.my husband just called from work and asked if i had seen something wrong with samantha.i was just going to watch for a little longer but if he noticed???she is 10 months old....maybe she is just quiet????

snowmom974

Asked by snowmom974 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Has your daughter noticed anything or voiced any concerns? Some babies of course are quieter than others and sometimes they temporarily stop doing one skill to focus on another, but being seen by the pediatrician is always a good way to go with any concerns. I just ask if your daughter has noticed anything, b/c this can be touchy even b/w a mother and daughter to bring up developmental concerns.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have a public health nurs and she said that if a baby starts regressing in the vocal area to have them see a pediatrician because it could be autism or a physical ailment..
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:06 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It's a bit early for a doctor to be able to diagnose anything just yet. But you should let your doc know your concerns anyway. When my son stopped progressing in one area, it usually meant he was busy learning a new skill, and wasn't anything to worry about. I have a friend whose child didn't speak hardly at all until around a year old, but he was extremely advanced in other ways and observant too! When he did begin to talk more around a year and a half, he was very very smart!
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 12:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2009