Homeschool??

My daughter will be 2 in June and I also have a 2 month old son. I plan to stay at home with both my kids and homeschool. I have heard of alot of people that homeschool start really early with their kids. I feel like I need to start sitting down and teaching my daughter things. I feel like our days are wasted with her playing and me doing house work. Do you think it's to early to start? I was wondering what program I should go with for preschool? Are there any cheap ones? Any suggestions? I just want to start doing something with her daily that will start teaching her things and I feel like I'm not doing enough. Thanks for the help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just talk to her about things in her everyday life! As you're sorting clothes, name the colors the items, what you're doing. Have her help prepare meals--the easy things like getting specfic ingredients, pouring pre-measured items in to a bowl, stirring, helping set the table, etc. mentioning each step as you go along.

Children at this age learn best through play--reading, singing songs, simple board games (candyland/chutes and ladders), puzzles, simple arts and crafts are all that is needed to develop basic language skills and concepts. There is no need to hunker down and "study."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:18 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Honestly? I don't think you need to sit down and do school work with a two year old. Young children learn amazing things by experiencing them. Incorporate learning into play. This summer plant a garden - let her help you. You can teach letters, numbers, biology, earth science, nutrition, basic math skills, etc all in the garden. let her help you cook. it's good for teaching pre-readins skills, fractions, measuring, etc. Draw and create arts and crafts together - learn colors, letters, numbers and a long list of other topics through these projects. The list is endless and it's fun. Even in general play, kids learn more than you realize when they "just play."

Above all else, there is NOTHING "wasted" by a 2 year old playing. Kids can learn amazing things at a young age, yes...but above all else, kids also need the gift of having a childhood WITHOUT the pressure of having to excel so far so soon.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:20 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• She's only TWO! She can learn things through play, she can just play...but to sit her down and start actual schooling? At TWO? Sorry, but she's going to be in school (in public, private or at home) for long enough! Why can't she just be a toddler?

Just remember...it's not a ball, it's a blue ball that kind of looks like a circle. It's not just a block, it's a block with a red A on it. Label everything. She'll pick it up through play.

Just let her be a kid.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My daughter is 5 and we homeschool. Young kids are like sponges, they soak up EVERYTHING so just including them in your daily doings will teach them more than you ever imagined! Also make time to sit and read with your kids together or seperately, they will learn so much!
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 4:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• At this age I would just include your daughter in your daily activities. You can make some things educational if you like by counting socks when folding laundry, and sing the abc's when washing hands. When my homeschooled children were that age we played games naming and pointing to body parts and learning colors. My oldest loved the letter T and everywhere we went we would hunt for the letter T.

Dramatic play, stories, puppet shows/games and singing simple children's songs is another good activity for a child of that age. Other than that, just let her enjoy being a toddler. She will learn a lot just by playing and watching you.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son just turned 2. I am a stay at home mom and I will home school him and anymore kids that I have. My little boy knows most of his colors, can count to 7 and say his ABC's all the way to J on his own. but if you say it one number or letter at a time he will go as far as you go. I think that that is the best way to start. It doesn't have to be work right now, young kids learn better through play. take a walk and have her say "hi" to all the things that she sees and tell her how many there are. Make a point to spending a little more time at the store and naming all the fruits and veggies and their colors. She will love it. It will make her think that she is helping you shop, and she will be learning in the process. You can both have fun doing it.
    aridgeway

Answer by aridgeway at 1:14 PM on Feb. 25, 2009