Ideas for 9mth old who will not eat baby food or cereal

I have been giving him small things ie: cheesepuffs, jumbo rice crispies, gerber teether biscuits but I am worried that he is not getting any nutritional stuff. I know he needs veggies, fruits and things, but he is not getting them. Someone have any suggestions on why children will not spoon feed?

BraxF0508

Asked by BraxF0508 at 10:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In the same aisle that they sell baby forks/spoons, plates, sippy cups etc, there are little mesh bags that you can put mushy food in and snap close. Not sure what they're called - we called them nosh bags. :) My kids loved eating bananas, melons, carrots, lots of other things. The baby can't choke on it because it's strained out through the mesh. They pretty much just gnaw & suck on it to get stuff out.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• For a 9 month old why not steam some veggies and cut it into finger food? Or some fruit? Not all babies like being spoon fed. There really isn't a reason to either. They all learn.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My daughter is 10 mo. and has refused to eat off of a spoon since she was about 9 mo. old. I just do finger food meals. I steam a few veggies and a few fruits every couple of days and put them in the fridge (in baby size pieces). They keep for 2-3 days (heat them to steaming before serving). I do apple with cinnamon, pear with nutmeg, green beans, broccoli stems, cauliflower, turnip, carrot, peaches, plums, nectarine, cantelope, etc. Banana and Avocado are also great for keeping in the house because they can feed themselves and you don't have to steam it or anything ...just cut and serve. She also really likes yogurt and will eat it on a spoon, so I mix pureed berries into it. She also really likes chunks of mild cheddar cheese, bits of waffle, toast, squished beans, etc. At 9 mo., she is probably telling you she is ready to do it herself...let her. You'd be surprised what they can gum with no teeth. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son did not eat baby food regularly (daily) until 11 mos. Before then, he'd have a few spoonfuls every few days, and he was fine. The majority of their nutrition before 12 mos comes from breast milk or formula. But you might want to try steaming fruits and veggies and cutting them up. She might be interested.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i consulted my baby book about this.. it says that some kids just wont eat food til they are over a year old.. and oddly enough it says its ok.. as long as they are getting plenty of Breastmilk or formula.. i even asked our ped about this, and he said its fine.. some kids dont like to eat, some parents dont want to introduce foods til then.. also, in the book it talked about texture adversion.. it says that some kids do not like the texture of anything that isnt pureed. They went on to say that a child like this, could be up to 2 years old and still want mashed up foods.. has your baby lost any weight? if not, then i wouldnt worry but if so, then call the ped.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:17 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Like some of the other moms said, some babies don't really eat much in the way of solids until they are older, and that is fine. However, you can offer some more nutritious alternatives for him to feed himself. Small bits of soft bananas, avocado, and cooked sweet potato are are very nutrient dense foods that baby can pick up small pieces of and feed himself.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2009