13 month old will not drink milk

My 13 month old has been breastfed via pumping since birth. Well, my supply has been slowly dwindling and I have been pumping less often trying to slowly wean her. I had a freezer stash of breastmilk and have been trying to use that up so it wouldn't go bad. Well, I am getting close to the end of my stash and decided to try to give her regular milk to see how she would do and to make sure she wasn't allergic before I completely ran out. She absolutely refuses regular milk. She gags and spits it out then refuses her bottle. What should I do?

kilee

Asked by kilee at 10:14 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i know this is going to sound bad but oh well add a little chocolate powder only a little to sweeten it in most cases breast milk is sweet this may be why she refuses it also make sure it is the freshest you can find as fresh is what she is used to
    littleleesmom

Answer by littleleesmom at 10:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Don't give it. Find other calcium rich foods and foods with good fats for her to eat. I really believe that kids don't eat/drink things for good reason(especially at this age). It may bother her tummy. Have you tried other kinds of milk? Rice or soy?
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My daughter hated regular milk too. I had her on breastmilk for 7 months and when I switched to formula she was o.k with it but reduced the amount she drank..but when I tried switching her to regular milk, she just hated it. I tried giving her milk in various forms, adding a little sugar, chocolate etc.. nothing worked. After a lot of experimenting I finally found that the only way she liked milk, was slightly warm organic whole milk in a bottle. She wouldn't drink even if it were a little colder or warmer than what she liked and it had to be perfect temperature.... Now she is 2 and is lot more flexible, I switched her to sippy a month before she turned 2 (only for the milk though.. she was using sippy for everything else since she turned 1)
    So I would suggest just experiment different things.. and if you are giving milk straight from the fridge, defenitely consider experimenting with temperature...
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 12:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• What I did for my daughter was put a lil sugar in it then slowly quit and she didn't notice.
    Anonymous

• We went through the same thing with my daughter too. I nursed her for a year- then she weaned herself very suddenly. She would not drink regular milk, no mattter what temperature, or if it was in a cup or in a bottle. I tried Soy- vanilla flavor and she loved it... I slowly mixed in organic whole milk, and now she will just have organic milk in a cup ...
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son drank it when it was watered down. 1/2 water, 1/2 milk, he still drinks it that way....his formula was watery in itself so I figured the watered milk would be similiar....
    AntzMumi430

Answer by AntzMumi430 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 25, 2009