46 and wanting to have a baby

I was in an abusive marriage for many years. The great things that came out of that marriage was three beautiful children who are now grown and in marriages of their own. A few years ago I met the most wonderful guy. He is truly my soulmate and I fully believe he is the guy I've looked for all my life. I try not to question why it took us so long to find each other but rather am thankful to God for allowing our paths to cross so we could meet, become best friends, fall in love and become husband and wife. He has 2 children of his own; hoewver they are not close because his ex-wife did everything she could to turn his kids against him and it basically worked. We want a baby of our own... one we can truly call "ours", one we can raise together and love like no baby has ever been loved before. This month I was 3 days late and I was beginning to get excited because I am never late. Have I waited too long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You can always adopt!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It's never too late, however I would never have a kid that late in life! There are lots of risk to u and the baby if u did! But everyone is different if you think you can handle it go for it! But i'd talk to a doctor first so you know exactly what risk could be in store for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• you can always adopt but adoption is not always the same as having a child of your own. Trust me when I say this because I am adopted! I know my parents love me as if I were their own but I still feel that my mom loves her son more. It is just human nature. I now have my own son and I love him more than I love life itself. No love can compare to the love you have for your own biological children... for women at least because we birth them!!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• PS! i know some one who was 45 and gave birth to a healthy baby girl!! You can do it with extra cautions!!!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am also 46 and at my last annual checkup my doctor told me some ladies think they can't get pregnant naturally at our age. He said they are all wrong. He said if you are still having a regular period you can get pregnant. He actually talked to me about birth control and I'm thinking "birth control at 46"? He said you would not believe the women our age who comes into his office going "you told me I couldn't get pregnant at my age". He said I would never tell anybody that because if you are having a regular period you can get pregnant. So, I don't know your circumstances but based on what he tells me, yes it is possible. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• IMO... Go for it. Have a baby. But just remember if you are pregnant. The child will be 18 when your 65. You should make a will out.

Answer by louise2 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You sound like an intelligent woman, so you don't need other moms on here warning you about the increased risk to you and the baby as well as the increased chances of birth defects in the baby in a mother your age. If you really want a biological child and you are capable fo conceiving, go into in prepared for the difficulties you might face. If genetics aren't important to you, I would recommend adoption as well. If you have so much love to give and the resources to provide for a child, why not share it with a baby who needs exactly what it is you have to offer. Your age and emotional maturity I would think would make you and your husband perfect adoption candidates.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Make out a will just because you are 55? Death knows NO AGE. You can be 21 with a baby and die tomorrow. I'm sorry but I don't get the connection here. I say GO FOR IT!!! At 46 you definitely should know what you want in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You do not have to adopt like they are suggesting on here..(and my dd is adopted)
    46 and you want a baby...if the doc says ok...go for it..
    I am 41 and thinking of having a baby with my fiance...
    I probably will be 43 if we do go that path..
    You do what your heart tells you to do...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You can still get pregnant, of course! Just remember the adverse effects that pregnancy can have on you and the child. If you prepare yourself correctly (as any woman planning a baby should), you'll do great! If you feel like you can't, there is always adoption....or also foster care. You can choose to only care for infants or small children. Good luck!!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 11:39 AM on Feb. 24, 2009