Let him cry threw the night?

I have a 5 1/2 month old n he wakes up to eat at night like 4 times. I had a mom on here tell me that I should try n just let him cry threw one of them cuz he doesn't need to eat its just that hes got himself on a schedule, n then then eventually cuz out all his night time feedings. She said he should be able to go 8hrs at night.
Im not sure about this....I plan on asking his Dr when we go for his 6month apt but I was just wondering what other mothers thought first?
His daily schedule is usually: Wakes at 8...usually has a nap around 10. he eats lunch (baby food) at 1:30 n then sometime after takes another nap. Then he eats supper (baby food) at 6:30. And of course he has bottles all threw out the day! Durring the day he can go anywhere from 3-5 hrs without a bottle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMg no dont let him cry through the night.... :( that mom was wrong, why dont you try feeding him rice cereal before bed and see if he wakes up. He shouldnt go 8 hours my 9 month old doesnt even go 8 hours, they consider sleeping throught the night to be 5 hours.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• NO DONT LET HIM CRY!!!!! GIVE HIM MORE FOOD AT NIGHT HE IS READY TO EAT MORE! TRY SOME RICE OR OATMEAL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My kids never cried through the night. Sometimes I would let them cry it out for about 10 minutes, and they usually just went right back to sleep. Putting your child to bed awake can really make a difference. I know moms like to rock their babies to sleep, it's sweet and comforting to us moms, but in some babies, that never ends. My friends daughter is 2.5 years old, she will still not go asleep on her own, and she doesnt' often sleep through the night and doesn't have a bedtime routine. It wouldn't hurt your baby to cry it out for a few minutes, ti really wouldn't. It won't make him insecure, it won't decrease any bonding you have with him. Oh and my kids were both sleeping 10 hours a night by the time they were 6-8 weeks old, plus naps during the day
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ok..well this mom told me that her Dr told her to do that to her baby at 3months! Also that her friend fed her baby everytime her baby woke up at night...n now the babys like 9months or something n in 18-24month cloths. Im not worried about that at all cuz hes lost weight actually n babies grow in to that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son ate all the time during his waking hours, he weighed 22lbs when he was just 6 months old, he was such a cute little butterball....but he slept through the night as well
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• So you think hes pri ready to eat more baby food? Do you think i should try the 3rd stage foods? He only eats 1st n 2nd stage right now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No, keep him on the 1st and second stage, at this point he still needs momma's milk or formula more than food.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with Zakysmommy. It is really important to put your baby down awake but sleepy at night. You shouldn't be rocking them to sleep...especially at this age. If they learn to go to sleep on their own, then they might just do it in the middle of the night without your intervention. You should also have a bedtime routine that is similar but different from naptime routines. I do a bath every night just to differentiate it. It really seems to help settle my daughter down and let her know that it is time for the "long sleep." Also, most babies wakeup throughout the night....all people do. Try giving him 10-15 minutes before going into his room (unless he is really upset). If he is just fussing or talking...let him be. He might just be trying to lull himself back to sleep and you going in there could interrupt that. If you do have to give a bottle, try to push it back a little every night (by 15 min or so). Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• my DD is 24 lbs at nine months.... shes a cutie lol... but they grow out of that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oooh they do grow out of that, my son is now 15 and is 6' tall and weighs a measely 127lbs lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2009