Ally, my 3 yr old girl...I'm having a heck of a time with potty training...She's got the concept, knows how to go on the big potty, wipes, flushes...but there are still times that she will just pee in her big girl undies when she knows better. Is this a control thing, will she grow out of it? She's fine when we go to other peoples houses or out to stores...she only does this at home...FRUSTRATED!!!

PntBttrNJelly2

Asked by PntBttrNJelly2 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Since you know she has a problem remembering to go at home, help her remember instead of letting her fail all alone.

Set a kitchen timer for an hour and tell her when it goes off, it's time to try. Slowly lengthen the time to 2 hours.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• When I was about 5 or 6, my parents started having to use pull ups on me at night again because I was afraid of the dark and when I woke up having to go potty, I just went in my bed because getting scolded was far better than facing the dark alone. My poor parents didn't know that's why I did it. Sometimes it's hard to get a kid to give you a rational reason but there often is one. They ended up bribing me. I didn't get new toys very often, pretty much just birthdays and Christmas, so they said if I stayed dry for a week I could go pick out a new toy at the store. After that, I never had another problem. My dad helped by getting up with me in the middle of the night and walking me to the bathroom once they figured out I was scared and embarassed. After a little while I got over it. Maybe she is involved in what she is doing and it's more important to her than going potty. Give her some incentive and she may change her mind.
    soconfused1701

Answer by soconfused1701 at 1:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I used to work in a preschool room at a daycare center. I had 4 and some 5 year olds that still went in their undies, pee and yes poop too!!! Don't worry about it. Usually reminding them to go is helpful. But it seems like in your case she does great everywhere at home. Maybe she is trying to get you to pay additional attention to her. Not to say you don't already, but maybe she is just going through an insecure stage right now, and needs the additional support you can give her. I have 4 kids at home and sometimes just the encouragement keeps my little one going on the potty. That and we award him with candy everyonce in a while for being "A really big boy"!
    angel012682

Answer by angel012682 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My 3 year old girl does the same thing. I try to remind her to go potty evry couple of hours. I think my daughter just forgets. She's not deliberate about it - plus she only does it at home. I think it's a comfort thing.
    monroesmum

Answer by monroesmum at 8:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009