my daughter turns one in a couple of days and is on soy formula right now, should I switch her straight to whole milk on her birthday or wait and see what the doctor says and keep her on formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• more info- she is on soy formula because she spit up on regular formula
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would definately wait until you see the doctor. If she is lactose intolerate she will probably go from soy formula to soy milk and not cows milk. plus switching to milk isn't something you do all at once, you start by mixing a small amount with formula and progressively add more milk and less formula.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You might need to wait tell you talk to the doctor. If you do start her on regular milk..You need to do it slowly. So her system will not reject it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My son was on soy, what we did was VERY slowly tried whole milk qwith him. I would heat up the milk, and start with maybe just a couple of ounces. He did just fine. I just introduced it very slowly to him
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Why is she on soy? I wouldn't switch to cow's milk without talking to the doctor about it yet. Children move to soy-based formulas for several reasons, among them, however, are allergies to milk, intolerance to lactose or other components in cow's milk and other medically motivated reasons. It's really best to see what your doctor advises.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Well, always take your doc's advice, first of all. It depends on why your baby is on soy. Is she allergic? Lactose intolerant?? Your answer depends on that, so just ask the doc.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 11:23 AM on Feb. 24, 2009