For those who didn't get an epi

What did you do for pain relief? I've had bad experiences with the epi and i'm avoiding it as much as possible. Also has anyone ever had their doctor tell them that the head is already engaged during an exam? If so, did it make your labor faster or easier? This is my 3rd.

kstap_4

Asked by kstap_4 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't have an epi either! They put in this pool like thing to help with the contraction pains, it kinda work but I still felt pain
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I read books and learned coping techniques. I rocked, moaned, talked, etc. I did whatever I had to to make it managable. I wouldn't use an epi under any circumstances now. Natural birth is so muhc nicer, IMO.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Read "birthing from within" or "ina mays guide to childbirth". They are natural birth books but have tons of info on coping methods. Hypnobabies/birthing is also a great resources.

The key to having a drug free birth is mindset. If you fear the pain, it will hurt. If you believe that birth doesn't have to be painful, it might still hurt, but the pain will be manageable and easier to handle!

Stay mobile. Don't allow continuous monitoring, nor laboring on your back. Get a hep lock IV so you can be free of machines. Utilize the labor tubs, or even the showers! Water can be wonderful during labor. Women who have had both a medicated birth, and water birth, say the water is better than the epi/drugs at relieving pain.

Look into labor/birth positions. Squatting or standing are some of the best positions to be in to deliver, they open the pelvis and allow for gravity to aid in the delivery! Good luck.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• With my first, I had no epi and her head was engaged for weeks. It made my final weeks incredibly uncomfortable and did not make my labor any quicker. She was stuck in there, but facing the wrong way. I had IV meds because I was scared of the epi. I didn't think they worked very well and the nurses wrote that I was "combative" on my charts!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:55 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I didn't have an epidural w/ my twins. I had my fav pillow, ideally someone could have rubbed my back. Relaxation tech helped. SOft music, scented candles.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I didn't have an epi or any other type of medication. I didn't really do anything, i just relaxed and let my body do what its supposed to do. As for the head being engaged..i have no idea since i don't get checked.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i didnt have an epi with my dd and wont with my son i have 18 vetibras in my back that got messed up in a car wreck and i dont want to chance it since my spine is starting to twist i had iv meds but they didnt help i still felt the pain and thank god i only had to push twice before she was completely born i also did hypno birthing it helped til i lost my concentration
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009