I am a SAHM of 2 year old twin girls and am having some depression. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get out of the depression and out from under what I'm feeling so that I can be of some use to my family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What is SAHM?
    Have you tried an anti-depressant? I was pescribed a very low dose of Zoloft. It has really helped. Maybe you should talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'm also a SAHM with a 2 yr. old, with depression. Mine is come and go, it's not bad enough to be medicated. I try to get out of the house as much as possible, that really seems to help. I know that just the isolation from other adults is bad for me. All of my friends work during the day, but we get out and go to Wal-Mart, or walk around the mall...just outta the house! When it's warm, we take long walks, feed the ducks,etc. If you think it is severe enough to need medication, go see your doctor. Take care..and good luck.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 10:57 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I don't believe in any type of medicine to treat depression... I took went through a lil spell and got out of it alone... I know this is hard for some but depression is state of mind that takes over u emotionally and physically. First try and pinpoint what is causing u to feel this way, is it stress? what kind? Financial, are things ok btwn u and DH? I'm nopt bashing but is the house in order... one major trigger for me was that I let myself and my house go so I had to rejuvinate myself and get things back on track...clutter around u brings clutter to the mind and u can't think straight.. are you bored and tired of being home all the time? that also was weighing me down... find things to do outside the house.. bundle up the girls and take them outside if its not to cold, go for a walk... and last you need time for you... tell DH/SO that you need some help and when he comes from work see if he can take over the nighttime
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• cont'd.. routine.... that should give u time for urself ... take a nice shower, wash ur hair...and sit back and paint ur toes... sounds silly but it does help... if none of these are factors then please share I'm hear to listen and see if I can help in anyway I can...
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• anon SAHM is stay at home mom...
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• get out of the house!! Make your husband watch you kids when he gets home and just go to a coffee shop and relax for even an hour, or shop in the mall (you don't have to buy anything, but even just browsing and trying things on...)

You need time for YOU, mama, especially a mom to twins!!

Get some adult interaction, and you could try contacting your local MOPS (moms of preschoolers) group.

www.mops.org

Hope that helps. Remember, even if you feel like it, you're not in this alone.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 11:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I know what it is like to have twin girls. Mine are 2 years old right now! It is very stressful. I am a single mom with no help what so ever from the father, so I am doing this on my own. I suffered depression for a long time. I decided to get on medication. That did not help. It made me fatigue and I didnt want anything to do with the kids. So I went to see a psychologist. It was very uncomfortable. So, I decided, to take a vacation. I have never been away from my kids before. Not even for 1 night.. So this was new. It was exciting and I needed that time away. I know how it is to have these "chaotic blessings" in your life. You just need a break. Take a vacation! Even if its for a weekend. You deserve it.
    KatiMiller

Answer by KatiMiller at 11:59 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Aside from seeing a doc these are just little things that might help. Get dressed in the morning.( don't stay in you pjs all day without taking a shower) Exercise...proven to help with depression. Take in nature. Even if its just a walk to the park with the girls. I know its cold but I'm sure you have gear for that. Eat better and drink more water.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I was sahm with my twins and it was hard. We lived far from all our family had no one to help and my hb was in collage, so we where broke to.
    On your hb day off go out, do anything. We never stayed home on the weekend. You can find free things to do, we had to.
    I told my hb that I need it. I wake up at work,eat at work and sleep at work. I need the weekends off.
    Always wake up an hour before the kids and do some kind of exercise, it does help. It is not easy just take baby steps.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2009