Making Wings

Does anyone know the best way to make wings? My son is playing the Elephant Bird in Seussical and I need to make wings for him. I was thinking just outlining wings on cardboard and making straps from elastc to hold them on and painting them the color he needs then adding craft feathers or maybe trimming them in a boa or something....any ideas are appreciated.

rissa_doll

Asked by rissa_doll at 11:04 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Your idea sounds perfect the way that it is.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think that would work great! I have seen the ones in stores that little girls play with and they look like stiff hanger wire with white panty hose stretched over them. I think cardboard sound easier!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Sounds perfect for that character! And the cardboard sounds a whole lot simpler than making traditional fairy wings! Bending the wire can be a bit tricky to keep the shape.
    faery33

Answer by faery33 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If you are using cardboard, it might be better to put a thin layer of styrafoam in between two pieces of cardboard. That's what I ended up doing for my son years ago. The cardboard kept getting bent, but with the liner and then the edges taped over, they didn't bend at all. When they are done this way, you can run the wire between the layers so you can bend it and it still holds its shape. I put duct tape around the edges and then painted it on the first on, but let it show on the second and it looked like it belonged after I added feathers and glitter.
    zipknitter

Answer by zipknitter at 4:25 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• You could use "foam core" board to make the wings - it's lighter than cardboard and comes in white or colors. It's easy to cut with a craft knife, and you can glue or draw on the paper surface.
    X-Acto-Girl

Answer by X-Acto-Girl at 8:28 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I made my son a bat costume one halloween and made the wings from a white board, it was thicker than cardboard. I covered it with green felt and black roap string as the lines on bat wings. I attached it using velcro. You can get it in fabric stores. Sticky on both sides. I put the shirt on my son with the velcro stips already attached then put the wings on. You get a better fit doing it that way.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 26, 2009

• All great answers, thank you so much for your tips and feedback. i will play around with some of these ideas. he has to be held at one point so having them not bend is a good point but i also need to make sure they are not too bulky so the girl can get her arms around to pick him up. I think in these ideas and my own I can find the perfect solution, thank you so much!
    rissa_doll

Answer by rissa_doll at 1:21 AM on Feb. 27, 2009