How do mom's having more than 1 little one shop for clothes at the stores?

My kids hide,cry, and want everything they see. In fact my daughter when she was 2 wondered off in a target and I about had a heart attack! I order all my nice clothes in mail,because of this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• get a sitter! if i am going to really spend money on myself i like to take the time to try stuff on and i dont think that is worth the battle with my son... or i just shop on the fly when i have him withme, i just see something i need/ want and buy it and if it fits cool otherwize it can go back next time...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I only have one child and we go shopping as a family so my husband helps with that. But I have several friends with multiple kids and they usually leave their child at home with a family member or they bring them to my house and let them play with my son while she shops. I think it's best to leave your kids out of it if you can. You have too many other things to worry about when shopping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My Husband or my son's father normally does the clothes and sneaker shopping for my son. I do the shopping for my daughter because we love our girls day out. If I see something I like for my son I'll pick it up but just like My Husband and my son's father it's a crime to wear anthing from Walmart or Target.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have only one and she gives me a hard time even when we go grocery shopping let alone clothes. She is 2 and she gets bored after the first 5-10 minutes and wants to get out of the cart and run. We usually go shopping as a family and we have a play area for the kids at the mall we usually shop in. So when one of us stay at play area and let her play, the other one does the shopping. If we go to other malls where there are no play area, we take our daughter to the toy section where she experiments with the toys and one of us try to finish the shopping.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 11:27 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Bring someone to help out =] My sister and I always go together and her son keeps my little one entertained :P
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I teach them to hold onto the cart, not touch things that aren't theres and I either wear my two year old or put him in the cart(rarely). It works out fine. I have 5 kids.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• talk to them before you go..depending on how old they are, use the reward system with them, if theyre good tell them they can have a cookie when they get home or something, or bring some snacks with youo so theyre more focused on having a snack then the dreaded shopping time..lol, or if theyre good take them to the dollarstore and let them each choose one thing to get..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• They know how they are to behave in public. If they don't behave properly, they are put in time out right then and there in the middle of the store. If they run off, they get a swat on the butt and put in a cart.

I have been known to plan shopping trips at snack times though. This works better if it's a sensory day for the older two. It helps keep them more calm.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• oh yeah, i also loaded some kids shows onto my ipod for when we have to wait, that could work if you have a nano/classic etc. ipod...
    AmaliaD

• We don't just go buys clothes all that often. We went clothing shopping for them around school starting time once. It went well. They were 4 and 7 at the time. I go to wal-mart with them all the time. All other times they get clothes are for birthdays or if i randomly see a sale while at wal-mart.

As long as you teach them that you wont give in to their tantrums and how to properly behave in public, it goes okay. It may take some work to make them understand how to behave. And if it gets too bad then just leave. Kids have to learn at some point how to behave in public. If its a quick trip I definately try to do that when the kids are else where (school or home with daddy, etc).
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009