I am a stay at home mom.My 11 month old son always looks for me and wants me to sit and watch him playing and never lets me do anything else. Its difficult to drink a glass of water without making him cry and yeah i m almost 7 months pregnant now.Help me..what can i do?? He has been like this since he was 15 days old.

Silky24

Asked by Silky24 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds to me like separation anxiety. My son started acting really clingly around 9 mos and didn't stop until he was walking around one year. I was a stay at home mom also. Because I was always with him, I had to go out of my way to find ways to socialize him. I called my sister in law (another stay at home mom) and started taking him over there (with me) to play. After a couple times going with him, I began dropping my son off with her an hour or so at a time at first, then up to a couple of hours at a time. It was hard for him at first, but little by little, he bacame less clingy. It's something you have to do, especially when you're a home-mom. He will learn gradually that you are not the only one who can entertain and love him!

Cherish the time he wants to be around you, because soon he'll go into a phase where he won't even want you to hold him more than a minute or 2!!!
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 11:33 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It's a normal stage of development for him to see if you have "disappeared". Their short attention spans can work to your advantage. When he's playing, say "Mommy will be right back", go around the corner for a second, then "Peekaboo" back in. Do it several times, he'll think it's funny. Then go for several seconds, getting a little longer each time. Every time you pass him, Say, Hi, Sweetie. Back in a minute. He'll get used to the idea of you being there even though he can't see you. Try to redirect him, or if you can involve him stuff, like playing in the clothes basket while you are folding clothes. Talk to him alot, he'll get used to at least hearing your voice. We would "yell" across the house if I was in another room. Hi, Sweetie, He'd squeal, repeat, back & forth. Made it a game. I can imagine you are doubly tired from the pregnancy, but hang in there, it WILL get better!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:00 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with Tylersm0m. He soon will come to see that you are not the only one that can entertain him. Playdates and other caretakers can help too. It is hard to "cut the strings" so to speak but it really will benefit everyone. Children need people outside of the home in order to become "well rounded" adults. I believe anyway. It helps in alot of ways. It will be hard at first but doing it now will be less of an ordeal than waiting for #2 to be born.
    kristi7133

Answer by kristi7133 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009