breastfeeding HELP

ok so im getting close to having my baby and i know i want to breastfeed but i will have to be returning to work at 6 weeks and my little guy will need to take a bottle. I know i need to breastfeed him for a few weeks befor introducing a bottle but how long should i only breastfeed him? I dont wana wait to long so that he doesnt want the bottle but i want my milk suppply to be good and going plus i want the time to bond with my little guy.
how long do you ladies recomend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How wonderful.that you have chosen to feed your child the BEST food around. Just remember that nursing is not always easy and you may have difficulties at first, but stick with it.

When I did this I simply started her on a bottle a week before returing to work. I started pumping 2 weeks before in between feedings to get used to it and make sure I had enough to give her first couple bottles. I had my DH give the bottle and I was in the other room. You may have to go through several different types of bottles and nipples to find the one LO likes best. I borrowed several kinds from friends and the last one was of course the one she liked best. Also try not to give a binkie until you start the bottle either. If you need breastfeeding support then check out La Leche League or a lactation consultant at the hospital. our local hospitals have support groups for nursing/working moms and classes too
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I recommend joining a breastfeeding group here on CafeMom. They can help a ton.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would bf most of the six weeks, and give him a bottle of pumped bm a few times a day.. I know they tell you to wait a few weeks before you introduce the bottle, but that's what I did, and rejected it, she has never taken one (she five & a half months now) and still exclusively bfs
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• (Assuming you can breastfeed successfully), I would say start pumping and introduce a bottle a day about 2 weeks before you go back to work. This way he'll at least know how to use the bottle when it's time to go back to work. Be sure to let him at the breast after you go back to work (when you're home) because they still prefer the comfort, too.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 11:51 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• breastfeed as much as possible. get a GOOD ELECTRIC MEDELA pump, from target, and use that while you are at work. be prepared for you baby to get used to the bottle and dismiss your breast, but at least he will be having a bottle of YOUR BREASTMILK- its liquid gold for a baby!
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 11:53 AM on Feb. 24, 2009