How do I deal with an 18 month old holding my child down by the neck?

He has just been seperated from his dad who abused his mother, but is still with the mom. He was just holding my daughter down at the begining (we have been watching him for a month now) and today I left them together for about 30 seconds and he had her pinned and hands around her neck!! Is there anyway I can help this child or do I tell the mom she needs to find another babysitter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She needs to find another babysitter. You can't put your child in danger because of someone else's problems. But the mother needs to get this child some help. Even at that age, they can get help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with PP.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 12:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Wow.... You need to talk to his mother about this because this child needs help before he becomes another chris brown and maybe she needs to find another babysitter.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I think it depends on u as a person... I understand u are concerned for ur daughters well being but I would continue to babysit him and show him that it isn't nice to do those things. Reinforce positive behavior... its not the child or mothers fault they were in this situation (thank god they're out, some don't, can't or won't leave) and they both need help.. just be a friend to the mom and let her know she can talk to u and see if she would be willing to go to therapy with the child maybe even parenting classes..its not easy finding a babysitter u trust... she trust u and counts on u...don't turn her and the child away b/c he has not been taught morals and values like ur child help him.. there is still time...
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009