My DH lost his job, but found a new one. He will be making 50K less a year:(

What do you do to save money in this terrible economy? I have been crying and crying over this. I don't know what we are going to do! Do you have any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• Be thankful he found another job! Watch sale ads for groceries, use the dollar store for cleaning supplies, buy in bulk when you can, buy off brands!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:32 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Is there a way you can work to help out if you are not working?Maybe try a part time or work at home job. At least your husband is working and trying,I bet he is stressed.You should work too.Good luck
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Until you get used to how much you can spend, get rid of credit cards and only pay cash for essentials. Do this for a few months and once your saving money and you know how much you can spend and what not then slowly add things in :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Sorry to hear this :( I have become very good at saving money and I'd be happy to give you some tips. First off is using coupons. You are going to want to check with your local stores and find out who offers double/triple coupons and up to what amount and also if they accept expired coupons. I know alot of people think coupons are a waste of time but if I could only show you how much I have saved you would quickly change your mind. Before you go grocery shopping, always make a list and stick to it! Search the internet for printable coupons for the products you are buying. Make sure your store accepts IP's first though! Secondly is find out if there is a CVS Pharmacy around your area and join the CVS/Walgreen's group here on CafeMom. I have gotten thousands of dollars worth of stuff FREE from there. There is way to much about CVS to type on here but that group can help you tremendously.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 11:37 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Do you all have any money left over from when he was making more? Maybe work in child care where you can bring your children and get free or discounted childcare. Also,try little tips like coupons and shopping at places like sams or dollar tree,sometimes u can find great things there for grreat prices!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• 50k less???? I cant imagine making 50k period!.. count your blessing and stop whining!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Buy store brands, not name brands, walmart has decent stuff, shop on the outside isles, not in the middle, all of that stuff is prepackaged and more expensive than making it yourself... Don't eat out as much, make that a special once a month thing.... My hubby made 171,000.00 last yr and we still live like we made 35,000.00 Its not a bad way to live, its a smart way to live!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Also, www.hotcouponworld.com has a list of every store you could possibly think of and it lays out all the deals and things that are free after coupons that week. This will help so much! I pay usually FREE to no more than $1 for most of my groceries. I normally feed a family of four on $50/week and we eat a good quality meat every night.

I also shop the clearance racks at the end of each season. You can get really nice clothes for yourself and your kids for around $5 or less and save them for next year.

To save on water, you can put a brick in the tank of your toilet, that way it is using half as much water every time you flush. You can google this if you need more convincing on it :)

As for budgeting your money, you want to write a list of everything you spend in a week. Such as gas, lunch money, groceries, family entertainment, and whatever else goes into your weekly expenses. Allow yourself a certain amount to ..
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 11:48 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• spend on each and add it up. Withdraw that amount of cash and don't go over! That is your budget for the week.
    TilmannsGirl

• be thankful he found something - my dh has been laid off twice in the last 6 months and is now looking outside his field
    Anonymous