due date coming up soon thinking about birthplan... read something about enema?

so I'm reading about somethings I should put into a birthing plan because I'm due march 21st so I only have a short while let... and I came across a questions about "How do you feel about having an enema?" and so I'm kinda puzzled by it.... do they give you one, is it good to have one? what's the purpose to have one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I gave birth to 3 kids and never had 1.
    Anonymous

• My mom told me that they used to do that. She had one with all 3 of her kids. But I don't think they do it anymore. It may be an option though. Ask your Dr if you are interested in having one.
    Anonymous

• It is an outdated practice, much like the doctors shaving down their before you deliver lol. I didn't have one, and wouldn't ever get one. The thought grosses me out.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'm not sure, but I think enemas were more commonplace a long time ago when women were usually confined to their beds while in labor. When women were given meds that limited their walking, some were given enemas as a matter of convenience, and also because some women lost bladder control under stronger anethesia methods. Today, your doc might recommend an enema for example if you have group B strep and have to be hooked up to an antibiotic IV, which limits your mobility. I never had one, though.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 12:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• haha that's why I was a little puzzled because I REALLY don't like the idea but thought I'd ask to see what was the deal with it XD
    Anonymous

• I never had one, or was never suggested to have one. I know they used to do that a long time ago, but haven't heard of anyone being told that they have to have one unless there was some sort of a problem.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 12:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• They did it with my first one and I opted out of it for my second one. They never really asked on the first one.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I had one with my first and was happy I did. After months of on and off constipation, I needed to go. There's that chance off having a BM while pushing the baby through the birth canal. After having my son and having an episiotomy, the fact that i had an enema to get rid of anything that was backed up before pushing helped me not worry so much about having to use the bathroom being in so much pain and all afterwards. I had this fear of breaking a stich for some reason. So the enema was helpful.
    lawstudentmommy

Answer by lawstudentmommy at 2:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009