Anyone else have a hard time with your boss?!?

I work at a mostly male complex, in which they do work in the warehosue and things like that. I have had to miss a few (2 or 3) days, or have left early from work to go pick up medicine so that I can make it through the day, and I catch hell from my boss every single time!! Yesterday I was in the bathroom more than I was at my desk, and I got my nurse to call in a different kind of medicine, so i left to go pick it up and as i was leaving i was told " you better tell the nurse to make sure that medicine works because your not leaving anymore for this stupid crap" he is just Uunruly! There is one other girl that works in the regional office and reports to a different boss, that is also pregnant, and is due in April, but she has had a very smooth pregnancy, i, on the other hand, throw up anywhere from 3-10 times DAIY and yes its HARD to deal with at work!! I guess im jsut venting, but it makes me soooo mad how he doesnt even ca

StacyDeAnn

Asked by StacyDeAnn at 12:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Under certain circumstances, your employer is required to look at your pregnancy as any other illness and not treat you any differently than someone else who is ill. If you need to, get an explanation from your doctor, but don't abuse it! Look up the FMLA rules. Here in Illinois, if you qualify for FMLA leave, you may use leave intermittently even BEFORE you give birth, if you really need to.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 12:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Well if you are not doing your job because of your pregnancy, I can understand him being upset. You even said you were in the bathroom more than at your desk. Bosses aren't here to hold our hands, they are here to make sure we do our jobs and it sounds like you aren't. Sorry, just an observation.
    Anonymous

• You should have told him, this is not stupid crap!! Do not let him speak to you that way.
    If you can move to a different department.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My job gets done, no matter what, even if I am leaving early, I make sure everything else is done. I do not miss work a lot, but when I do I catch hell. There is someone else that does that same job as I do, so the work doesn't jsut sit there, it gets done! Im not trying to defend my case, but I do know they should treat you like any other employee that is ill, and shouldn't yell at you for going to ge medicine to try to better yourself, and make it capable for you to be at work! I know they are not here to hold my hand, I was just venting!!!!!!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 12:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh, and its a small company, (well large, but our branch is small) and he is the Branch manager, and has been here for over 20 years. The next closest branch is over 1 1/2 away, which wouldnt be easy to do! He is jsut unreasonable! We already work 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week, we have meetings at 5 and 6 am in the mornings which is very hard on me! ahh it just makes me soo mad to even think about someone being so mean about it!!He doesnt understand all pregnancies are different and mine is not as smooth as my co workers!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 12:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Anon, what exactly do you want her to do? Puke on her paperwork? maybe just do it in the trash because it's right there and I am sure everyone wants to listen and watch. If she's like me and pooping 50 times a day maybe she should just throw on an adult diaper. I mean come on! Pregnancy is hard on some people, and yes, her boss has a right to notice that she's been out and has had a lot of extra errands, but he doesn't need to be a dick about it. He either needs to be more understanding or find someone else, and it's pretty likely that it's better to just keep her on staff and hope the pregnancy gets easier. Poster, I actually had the sudden desire to quit my job as soon as I found out. I was only working a few hours a week at minimum wage anyway (I am in school full time), but dealing with the stress my boss causes was not worth the $200 a month at all. I am happier at home!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Seriously, look into FMLA. Tylersm0m is correct in that your employer cannot treat you differently because of an illness - despite if that illness interferes with your job or not. Even men have had circumstances come up a time or two that hinders their ability to perform their job duties.

If your employer persist in harassing you, contact your HR representative and file a formal complaint. Start documenting EVERYTHING - everything that is said to you, possible witnesses, times and reasons you left your station/desk, keep track of receipts from the pharmacy to show the time you were gone, etc.

It's sad to see such behavior (from your employer) being tolerated in this day and age. I hope you get this resolved!
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i agree pp
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2009