Glucose Test

Just went in this morning for the test. My # was 153. They said it should read around 135. They had to draw blood to test will find out tomorrow. Does this mean that I am diabetic?

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It could but don't worry til you have to. Plus having GD is not the end of the worl, I have been diabetic for yrs and its overwhelming but youll be ok. email me if you need some tips or adive hon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If you're pregnant, you could just have gestational diabetes, which will most likely go away once you have your baby. It will be difficult, just the same, you'll have to carefully monitor what you eat.

I'm assuming that you fasted for at least 12 hours and ingested nothing but water, correct? I actually sucked on a Halls during the night before my one test and it completely skewed the results. Good luck to you!
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 12:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• 153 is high but not extremely high. If you were in the 200s, that would be more cause for concern. There are a lot of diabetics (type 1 and 2) that consider 150s to be normal.

Don't fret until the three-hour test. Many mommies fail the 1-hour test. Even if you are diagnosed with GD, most of the time it can be controlled with a strict diet. Insulin and medication are a pain, but trust me - it's worth it to know your little one is healthy.

If you have anymore questions or needing to vent, PM me. I'm going through a rough case of GD, but it's opened my eyes to so much.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I didn't have anything to eat for 12 hours just water, so who knows. I'll know more tomorrow. It seems like every test that I have done w/ this pregnancy has come back abnormal. I don't get it! This is my little girl causing me a lot of drama already! lol
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009