how do you respond when your two and half year old son wants to know why we planned a second baby

I am a stay at home mom with a two and half yr old son. I am pregnant and a"why we had the second child?"m expecting my second boy in May. PLease let me know how to prepare my older one for a baby and what is the most appropriate response for

Mommie1234

Asked by Mommie1234 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• You just tell him because you love him so much and love dad so much you wanted to have another baby you would love just as much and he could play with.

Answer by gemgem at 12:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• He is two. I would just say because we want more kids.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would tell him so he had someone to play with. My daughter just turned 3 when my second was born. Everyone told us that she would be jealous of the baby and to expect the worst. They were wrong. My DD loves her sister and has not shown any jealousy up to this point. My second will be 6 months on the 10th. If my oldest becomes upset because her sister is touching her toys I just remind her that she plays with her sisters toys too and that helps a lot. Throughout my pregnancy I just kept telling her how much fun it will be to have a sister and even shared my experiences I had with my older sister. Focus on the positives of having a sibling and they will do fine.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 12:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• you wanted more kids...no explanation needed he is a child, not a decison maker in the family
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i tell my son who is 3 "so you can have a little brother and so you can be a BIG brother"... and i try to cuddle him like a baby, and he tells me to cut it out that he isnt a baby... and he has made that connection that i need a baby and he isnt a baby anymore... you could also go with the -- so you always have someone to play with... have someone to play games with, to talk to, play up the companionship he will get out of it...

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• We told my son that God put a baby inside mommy's tummy for our family to take care of and that it meant he was going to be a big brother like Caillou (a show on pbs) We also told him that Mommy would have to go tot the hospital so that the Doctor could help the baby get out. (It's true) When he first met his sister she gave him a little gift and he had also picked one for her. We also told him that when Mommy got home there was going to be a Big Brother party for him(We made sure everyone knew that that was his party and to acknowledge him before the baby.. ON coming home day mine and my husbands parents came over and gave him a little gift and we had cupcakes.) He still talks about it. Get your older son involved now. Let him pick out a toy or blanket every now and then for his brother. Let him help open some of the shower gifts. Talk about it all the time and make sure to point out babies and their older sibling
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes he is the child and not the decision maker but having another child is a decision that affects him just like the rest of the family and he has the right to be prepared for it. It is a big adjustment for a young child who can barely share their toys to share their parents. A little preparation helps with that.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Because he has been so much fun and you love him so much that you wanted to bring even more fun and love into the house.

There are also lots of good picture books for "I'm going to be a big brother".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009