I have horrible heartburn at night, what can I take to stop the burn?

Asked by Nina427 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Tums...

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 12:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• honey prevents heartburn, try to put some in a cup of tea daily that should ease it. hope you feel better

Answer by glossyblack at 12:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Don't eat anything a couple hours before bed, and take tums if you need to. Also don't lay down after meals, and try to sleep slightly upright.

Answer by Tylersm0m at 12:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Tums will help.It might mean your baby has a head full of hair.Thats what happen to me.My doctor said I can have as many tums as I need.

• My midwife okayed Tums and Pepcid AC for me. Just one other little tidbit: Although you are supposed to drink plenty of water during pregnancy, water can make your heartburn worse so be careful how much water you are drinking at one time.

Answer by sillyt at 12:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Nothing would help mine, but you can try maalox.
    I found changing my eating habits was the only thing that worked!
    Don't eat like an hour or 2 before bed, and if you do (it was hard for me to always go without a bedtime snack), have something starchy like crackers/pretzels and stay sitting up in bed for a while (i'd read or watch tv for an hour or so)
    When you need to get down to sleeping, try lying on an incline.

Answer by BambiF at 1:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i would say tum and drink a big glass of milk thats what i did and it helped me!! good luck

Answer by Mother_18 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• you may have to kinda prop yourself up with pillows laying flat can make it worse

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Tums, Tums and more Tums!! I also have stayed away from spicy foods and foods with harsh taste like garlic and onion. Eating yogurt throughout the day has helped as well. I also load up on pillows at night to elevate my upper torso. All have helped tremendously, but have not remedied the problem itself.

I know it's tough, but it's just until you're little mini me comes out! GL!

Answer by redmoonintexas at 1:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i have it at nite too, elevate you head, eat a tums to prevent before going to bed and keep the bottle handy... they work,, if you dont like meds you can chug milk, that sometime helps. i know how you feel, i agree about the hair, my son had a full head of thick hair and born 6 weeks early and i had BAD heartburn.... hope this baby is hairy too! (just on the head of course!) lol

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009