how many times a day can i feed cereal to my 3 month old?

my 3 month old is eating about every two hours almost 4 ounces on a pretty regular basis. I've already started her on cereal at night. Hoping to give her better sleep. she normally only wakes up twice at night. i just feel she isn't getting enough to eat from just formula.

urskatergirl

Asked by urskatergirl at 12:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she isn't getting enough, then give her more formula. There aren't enough calories nor enough nutrition in the cereal to take the place of any cereal.

I mean, she's only taking 4oz! Give her another ounce or two per feeding. (my kids were taking at least 8oz every 2-3 hours at that age so 4oz is nothing to me LOL)

You "can" feed cereal to her as often as you like. General recommendations are to not start until 4-6 months, however for very good reasons. So what you "can" feed her is one thing...what you "should" feed her is another.

You can't make her sleep better. She will sleep better through the night when she's ready to sleep better.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ZERO! Babies should be getting nothing but breastmilk (formula) for AT LEAST 6 months. She needs to eat breastmilk (formula) that often because cereal is just a junk filler. She needs the nutrients of milk. You could be depribing her of the much needed fat/viatimins she needs to thrive for healthy development. Contrary to the OLD WIVES TALE giving a baby cereal will NOT help them sleep through the night longer. They will do it when they are ready. PLEASE stop giving your baby solids.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• If she's hungry, you need to give her something with calories. Cereal is not that. Breast milk is ideal, formula works.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• She shouldn't be having cereal at all at her age. Her nutrition needs to come from formula... rice has almost no nutrition at all.. by filling her up with cereal you are taking away the vtiamins and calories she needs to grow.
    I would stop with the cereal and give her a extra ouce or two of formula each bottle.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Thanks guys. I'll give everything you have said consideration.
    urskatergirl

Answer by urskatergirl at 10:59 AM on Mar. 2, 2009