What would you think of a mommy using an off brand formula for their baby?

My baby has to be formula fed and she used Enfamil Lipil. An awesome mommy told me about a brand at Sam's club that is less than half the price but is identical to Enfamil Lipil. I checked it out online and there is even a lawsuit out there because it is the same formula but made by a different manufacturer.

I have been using the off brand Sam's Club formula (line by line, ingredient by ingredient, nutrition info... EVERYTHING is the same. Even the taste)

I do kind of worry what my MIL and daycare thinks of me using this formula.

What do you think?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the person cant afford the name brand stuff.

Answer by gemgem at 1:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think it's silly to use name brand when there is a cheaper brand that is EXACTLY the same.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:14 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• its the same exact formula, i aksed my dr, it's sooooooooooooooooooooooo much cheaper too, i like the target brand. the fda wouldnt approve it so it;s totally fine, i hear ya sister!!!
    Anonymous

• Formula is what like $20 a can or something...I think a person who refuses to pay that when they can get the same stuff for half the price is smart...Who care what your MIL and daycare think ...IT'S YOUR CHILD NOT THEIRS!
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 1:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• i agree briyawn, who cares!!! its so much cheaper, my baby has been on it for 3 months, and she is fine, gaiing weight and is healthy... similac rips you off.
    Anonymous

• Some people are name brand snobs. If it bothers you, just buy a can of the name brand and refill it with the generic. Only you will know it's not the name brand. Generic is fine, especially since you've checked that it's the same ingredients.
    You're a good mom, too. Don't be so hard on yourself.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would think hey that Mommy can't afford Enfamil, but she is feeding her baby. Don't worry hun, we have to use the off brand too.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Don't worry what other people think. Remind yourself that millions of parents get sucked into spending thousands on baby that they don't need to, just because of their own insecurities as parents. Trust your own insticts and don't follow the crowd just for reassurance that you're a "good parent."
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 1:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think it's ridiculous to be so concerned what your MIL and daycare with think about what you're feeding your baby.
    Anonymous

• Well I can afford the name brand stuff, but why when the same formula can be purchased for half the price?

So that is not the issue, the issue is why do name brand manufacturers of formula price gouge?
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009