Drinking wine while BFing

I was talking to someone who mentioned that if I drink a little wine it will get into my breastmilk and help the baby sleep. I've never heard of that before and I was wondering how true it is. Also, if I did try that what time of day should I drink the wine? Doesn't it take about 4 hours to get into the milk?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 1:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IM SORRY BUT TO CONSIDER THAT IS WRONG. I BREAST FEED MY BABY AN TO THINK OF INGESTING SOMETHING TO PURPOSLY KNOCK OUT YOUR BABE IS BAD. JUST LIKE MY HUSBAND HAS SAID HIS EX. WOULD GIVE HER KIDS NYQUIL???NOWAY!!! HE HAS SAID IT A TIME OR TO AN I JUST WANT TO SLAP HIM A COUPLE OF TIMES!!!!
    Anonymous

• Okay drinking wine will get into your breast milk. But drinking it to help the baby sleep better is not the reason to have a drink. That I think is unfair to the baby. When I had a drink or two I would pump before so that my DD had clean milk and then I would pump and dump the next morning.
    Anonymous

• It's bull. You want what's best for your baby and then you want to "dope" the baby with wine?

A) It doesn't work.
    B) Take care of the baby's needs, don't try to "help" the baby sleep.
    Anonymous

• Okay, while maybe it won't "hurt" the baby, but still don't do it. If you get into the habit of using unnatural methods to help your baby sleep now, you'll look at it as a good option later on. It's NEVER okay to drug the baby (YES, alcohol is a drug) to help her sleep.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 1:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• bad idea. yes it will get into your breastmilk and pretty darn quickly at that but its not going to make baby sleep better and its certainly not ok to be drinking and then breastfeeding even if it is just one glass.
    if you choose to drink a bit then make sure you are pumping out the milk befor breastfeeding your baby again.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You should never ingest alcohol while bfing. Pump before and be sure that it has had time to leave your milk there are test strips you can buy even. Would you dump wine in a bottle to "help" your baby sleep? If so it is considered child abuse and can get your baby takin away. It is the same thing IMO. I breast fed and never drank while doing so
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 1:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It is not taboo to have a drink while in a nursing relationship. You can safely have 1-2 drinks, but any more then that, I'd wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. It will NOT help the baby sleep though, and to consider it for that reason, I feel is wrong.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009