Do you think its a bad idea?

I love baking and decorating cakes, they are offering a class at culinary school right now for people to learn al the techniques. I would love to open a bakery some day but I live in a small town and dont know if it would be worth it.

mommyBrooke849

Asked by mommyBrooke849 at 1:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Can you sell them out of your husbands restaurant? If you can then go for it. I agree with the ladies who said the small town thing is to your benefit, you could probably do better since it is a small town and you are local.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 1:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Maybe approach the doughnut shop in your town(I assume all towns have doughnuts!) and ask if they will carry your cakes.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You can move to a bigger town.

Answer by louise2 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• yep id go to a bigger town :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I dont see why not. My mil never went to any classes and she makes cakes professionally and brings in anywhere from $250-$2000 a cake.

Answer by gemgem at 1:27 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Take the class. You can make and decorate cakes from your home for friends and family at first, and if word of mouth spreads, you can pull in some money as people talk about your cakes and how much they like them. You don't need to open a shop to have a small informal business.

Answer by Bmat at 1:28 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It might be if you know most people where you live and they enjoy your food. You could have parties and invite people and get them to eat your food for free. If you get them hooked they'll definately come to your store. Also, you could advertise on the web to get the word out, even offer shipping to people who want your food but are to far away. But in these economic times, you may want to take into consideration if the risk is too big. Are a lot of people out of work in your area? If so they're not going to spend what little money they have at a bakery. I hope it does work out for you though.
    raenad

Answer by raenad at 1:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would go for it. If its something you love do it.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 1:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• my mother own a bar in a town that has a pop. of maybe 3000 people.. And her business is booming...
    Anonymous

• Go for it! You might actually end up with more business in a small town, without much competition.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009