My six weeker needs to watch Finding Nemo... what would you do?

Last week she caught a glimpse of Nemo when my SS was watching it. Now she throws a fit at least once a day and won't stop crying until we turn on Finding Nemo. She watches the movie in its entirety then sleeps after the credits are done.

What the hell?! I was not going to be a mommy that parents with movies but I want to make her happy and Nemo makes her happy.

What would you do?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't let her watch it. She is far too young. She probably just like the colors and movement. Get her a mobile to look at.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:35 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• WOW, I've just never heard of a baby so young being able to watch tv, let alone sit through an entire movie! I guess if I were you, I'd let her :) I might be careful not to make a long-term routine of it, or as she gets older she'll become a couch potato!
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 1:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• hahahahahahha My daughter loves finding nemo too!! She wasn't like that though-- not that its bad!!

Have you ever seen the discovery channel commercial and its like I love the whole world boom de ya da boom de ya da (look it up on you tube its cute)-- well its about 1 minute long and that was the only thing my daughter would stop crying to! Since she was about 2 weeks-- she's 4 months now and now she laughs at the song! She'll be screaming her head off inconsolably for 15 minutes and when we play it she immediately stops! Everytime- i even recorded ten seconds of the song and put on a sound clip at build a bear-- now she has the song in a bunny!

I dont think its bad for her to watch it-- she probably loves the colors and noises- I don't think its a bad thing at all. If she's watching that and you don't want her to try Baby Einstein movies
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Too young to watch Finding Nemo? Hmm..I think it's ok. You already realize it's not the best thing for kids to watch tv all the time but if it makes her happy i say let her! I'm sure as she gets older you'll cut the tv time down right?
    Anonymous

• i dont think its going to hurt if shes sitting in her bouncy or swing and watching nemo she probably she likes the colors and movement along with the music. adventually that routine will go out the door and she will be on to other things.
    Anonymous

• oh my little sister was the same way--except it was a man on a tv show--- greg keneer on talk soup.

my mom would be nursing her and she would hear his voice or the beginning sound clip n turn her head to watch... she was the same way n was like that even till she was walking.

she's 15 now. she doesnt drink or smoke. her grades are great-- except has some trouble in spanish but still has a good grade. hey--maybe u can play finding nemo in different languages!!

i'd say let her watch it-- just dont let her sit too close. kits not good for her eyes... maybe u could buy her a finding nemo toy!! she would probably love it. good luck
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Unless your 6 week old is hearing finding nemo every single day in utero and since she's been born I find it very hard to believe she's throwing that kind of fit for finding nemo. Get her some colorful toys and let that occupy her rather than putting her in front of the tv at such a young age.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 1:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• honestly i would let her watch it. children develop a comfort zone and this might just be hers. try coloring nemo pictures and doing crafts. some kids really like certain movies.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Mix it up. Try some other colorful cartoons, baby einstein, and so on. See if she responds the same way. I wouldn't let her watch too much more per day, but each day you might want to try a new one, to see if she only likes Nemo, or if she likes Lightening McQueen, or Barry the Bee just as much. You know that too much TV is bad, you said it. Don't let it become the way you parent if you don't want it to be.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• ooops i meant the crafts and coloring when she gets older
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 1:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009