AHHGGHH!! Hamster Loose In The Apartment!!

My daughter has been the naughtiest little girl today and is in grouding now, however I have a loose hamster on my hands and...you guessed it! A messy house! What do I do!? The hamster is already terrified of me and bites (now) because today my daughter knocked her cage onto the floor!!

TeenieMom

Asked by TeenieMom at 1:36 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• AHHH! GIRLS! I found her!! Just now I heard this scratching sound....so I was quiet, followed it, and she has curled herself up in the blanket on the floor! :D Thank you ladies for all your help. This is one relieved momma!
    TeenieMom

Answer by TeenieMom at 2:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• LOL good luck. My son did the same with the gerbils and it took forever for me to get them back in their cages.

Answer by gemgem at 1:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh my lord...what am I going to do? *Bites Lip* I'm not afrais of Moxy, but crap, there's so many places she could hide and burrow and CRAP.
    TeenieMom

Answer by TeenieMom at 1:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Mr. Hamster is going to run along the baseboards in you house like any other rodent would. Since he will be hungry and looking to stuff his pouches, try setting out a rigged trap to two along the baseboard with some peanuts inside. Something that he will crawl into and the door will be triggered shut. You can find humane mousetraps online and in some pet/hardware stores that will work for this.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Well I can't go to the store today...so the trap thing is out of the question. But thank you for the info about running along the baseboards.
    TeenieMom

Answer by TeenieMom at 2:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• They normally are more active during sunset. So for now the furry little one is taking a nap in a dark area. Try looking under the stove, fridge, washer and dryer. If not then your more then likly to find it running around around sunset
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Just keep hunting and listening. You will probably end up bitten by the time you get it back in its cage, you could always wear gloves to catch him ^-^ When I was in 3rd grade I brought 3 mice home and they CHEWED out of their cage..maybe ask a friend to come over and help you look? Good luck!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Thanks for all the great answers girls! I am cleaning the entire apartment right now. I just hope she isn't tiny enough to fit under the apartment door! But she is a Teddy Hamster, so I really don't think she is. Luckily when I put my daughter in grounding she fell asleep, and I have been meaning to clean the house anyways, so I guess this is my sign to get off my butt and do it!
    TeenieMom

Answer by TeenieMom at 2:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• first clean up everything off the floor then put the cage in the middle of the floor with food and water inside don't move it at all and she will come out looking for food eventually when she's in close the door
    Anonymous