My 6 year old has autism and has been prescribed glasses. So far he has broken 2 pair of the flex frames that are supposed to be sturdy. What kind of glasses can I get him that he won't be able to destroy? I can't keep getting new ones each week. Thanks in advance.

He has some speech but is reallty limited on understanding things. He just doesn't grasp that he needs to be gentle with things.

mamacat123

Asked by mamacat123 at 9:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Try searching the internet for plastic frames and lens that NBA basketball players wear. They are more like cool goggles and are worn with a headband strap to keep them in place. I used to babysit for a little one who had a pair and she said she went online and searched for goggle style perscription glasses for children. Hope that helps!
    Funx3

Answer by Funx3 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i honestly dont have any REAL advice,..but maybe take your child to help pick some out,..AND let him/her be the sole picker,...and buy some cool string things so they don't get lost,...

sorry,.i cant be of any more help =)
    _mRs_dJ_dOe

Answer by _mRs_dJ_dOe at 9:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• unfortunately...my family had to deal with that...my sister is mentally retarded (she has the emotional) and she broke the glasses out of anger...all you can do...at least what we did...if we saw the anger coming on...we took the glasses away before she could brake them...and get cheap frames until you can work thru this...it can take time...or while you are home don't have him wear the glasses...that's what we did. By the way my sister is 47 years old.
    teddybear112881

Answer by teddybear112881 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008