At what age do you let your children shower or bathe on their own?

I have a 5 1/2 year old and I will run a bath for her and leave the bathroom door open. That way I can go in and out to check on her. I still supervise her washing her hair though because I think kids just use too much of everything. I am not crippling her though am I?

IzzeAddy

Asked by IzzeAddy at 1:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think each child is different. My older boys were showering on their own at 6 without much assistance other then turning on the water. My 8 yr old still refuses to shower he insists on a bath because he doesnt like water on his face. My 4 yr old bathes basically on her own with the door oen and I can hear/watch her I just wash her hair. I dont think youre crippling them lol. You know whats right for your kids.

Answer by gemgem at 1:43 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I say crippling becuase I want her to be able to do things on her own. I don't want to make a habit of doing things for her that she should be able to do.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 1:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think that it depends on the child. I started letting my SS sit in the bath alone and play when he was about four and a half and regularly check on him (the door was open)

He is now five and he still cannot wash himself appropriately so I just assist in the actual bathing part but the playing part, he can do that with minimal supervision.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 1:46 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My daughter is 8 and bathes on her own.I will turn the shower on time to time to get it right for her and at times she wants to do it.I will check in on her to make sure she is washing up good,she does good on her own just seems to take a lil too long at times..LOL .But like some of the others mentioned it depends on the child .
    NCMommy326

Answer by NCMommy326 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My step daughter started taking baths on her own around the age of 5..we ran the water and left the door open so we could check on her. Other then that she needed no help. Now she's going on 8 and we still do the water..if shes having a bath we run the water..if a shower then we start the water. Our water gets very very hot so we prevent her from being burnt!!
    madisonsmom7197

Answer by madisonsmom7197 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• For my six year old son, I run the water for him, and wash him up or else he'll just play and not wash. But after we wash, I let him play by himself with the door open after that until he's done. Of course, my son knows how to hold his breath under water, and can swim by himself in a pool. I wouldn't leave any child alone until I know they have these skills so they can't drown.
    Tylersm0m

Answer by Tylersm0m at 2:12 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My daughter is 6 1/2yrs old. About when she was 5yrs old she started taking a shower by herself. I would run the water and make sure it wasn't too hot or too cold and help her wash her hair. But she did everything else. She also helped me wash her hair and rinse her hair.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• my sks would take baths together when i first came around. we let them play for little bit and when they yelled they were done (we would check on them before this). Then either i or their dad would wash them. however as SD got older we started giving them baths seperately. SS is now 4 almost 5 and he is starting to want to and wash himself. He doesn't do half bad. lol. SD who is 8 1/2 has been wanting to take showers lately, but she has been washing herself pretty well for at least 6 months probably longer. the main thing i have to watch is to make sure she gets all the shampoo and conditioner out of her hair. however modest she is starting to become she will not get out of the shower without me. she even knows how to turn the water off, but i have to be there to help dry her off. sometimes she wants me to help her put her pjs on afterward too, lol. she cracks me up.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009