What should I be teaching my 2 year old?

We already count to 15 in English and 10 in Spanish, go over colors, & sing ABC's. And soon we are going to start potty training and drinking from a regular cup.

momoflilangel

Asked by momoflilangel at 1:45 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "Life skills" are far more important than the ABC's. Teach him to dress himself, teach him to help with chores, teach him to help clean up his toys, teach him to help set the table, etc. The more he can do on his own, the more pride he has in himself and his ability to care for himself and help the family, the better he will do in preschool. Yes, keep teaching him "academic" things - but they teach those in preschool too.
    Also use this valuable time to let him explore. Fill a pan with beans and let him play with them. Let him color and paint. Let him climb and run. Teach him to take turns playing with a ball, let him follow a line of ants to see where it's going, let him walk along a curb practicing his balance.

There's more to life than sitting and learning and the more of those other things he does now, the better he'll do in school later.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Try getting them to memorize their phone number and address if they can along with your name.

Answer by gemgem at 1:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You could start shapes and opposites. Also words like under, over, etc.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I agree with the others. Safety information is great, so are things like over, under, above, below, first, last. You can start working on phonics as well. A is for Apple and such.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 1:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• We do Letter of the week. I let my 2yr old pick a letter sunday then I go online and try to find arts and crafts for that letter. This week she picked T so today we made a Telephone book. I wrote the #'s for me my DH grampy and grammy.....and grandpa and grandma....and the police cut out the #'s from old magazines and she glued the correct cut out onto the number on the paper. Then we practiced dialing the numbers with her pretend phone. Later we will pratice writing the letter
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 1:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• You can work on new vocab. words, identifing numbers, writing/tracing their name, work on different textures (soft, hard, rough, smooth), do activites exploring the different senses (sight, touch, hearing, tasting, smelling), you can work on fine motor skills like tracing and coloring or gross motor skills like crab walking, doing summersaults or jumping.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009