Is there any over the counter cold medications I can give to my 17 month old?

My seventeen month old is coughing, sneezing, and has a runny nose, but not a fever...yet. Is there anything for a "cold" that I could give her? Everything that I find is for ages six and up! Oh and is there anything I could give my son so that her doesn't catch it too?

Blaire23

Asked by Blaire23 at 1:59 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No, I don't believe there are any cold medications that are safe for very young children. If your child feels miserable, I'd give baby tylenol or advil to feel a little better. Use a humidifyer at night, prop up the pillows and give lots of liquids. Colds just have to run their course.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Cold medicines are really a bad idea for kids under the age of 4. Really. I know it sucks, and I'm sorry lol. Saline drops and a bulb syringe (booger sucker in our house lol) can help with the congestion. Steam is great. They make infant vapo-rub, or Little Colds has a great chest rub that is all herbal that has worked great for us. If it gets severe, talk to your doctor.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 2:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Best thing is call your doctor. I personally only give my kids motrin or tyenol and vix chest rub. Humidifiers are great too. I don't take a chance with anything else anymore. I hope your baby gets better soon.
    raenad

Answer by raenad at 2:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Your other children will get the cold to, Most families get sick at the same time cause they all live in the same house..Tough the same things..Cough in the same rooms.

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'd ask the Health Food store and see if there are any homeopathic (all natural) cold medications that are safe for your child's age. I have used them on my daughter plenty of times.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No.
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• There is nothing you can give her. None of the cold medicines were ever tested on children, the dosage is a guess, and the effects were never studied. That's one of the reasons they were pulled off the market.

For your older child, make sure he washes his hands often, try to keep them apart, and don't let them share towels, cups, spoons, etc. Loading him up on vitamins may actually weaken his immune system - some vitamins (like vit. C) strengthen the immune system at lower doses and weaken it at higher ones.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Baby Tylenol. My doctor has recommened it for my kids. I gave like .02 ml to my 11 week old when he spiked a fever after shots and to my daughter when she became feverish and fussy while she was teething.
    shan2in08

Answer by shan2in08 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would agree, just stick with baby tylenol and motrin, and maybe little noses saline drops for congestion. Cold medicines have not really been proven effective and are not recommended for children under 4. I did give my 4 year old daughter some childrens motrin cold, but its not recommended for children under 2 (or 4 by most pediatricians), and she only had a minimal number of doses. Humidifiers help, or if you don't have one, run a steamy shower and sit in the bathroom with the baby for a few minutes to loosen her sinuses. I would not use Vicks as there has been some research lately that says that it may cause more problems when used on toddlers than on adults. I'm not sure, I would ask your dr about that. Have your son wash his hands a lot, and like the post above said, don't overload him on vitamin c or anything like that, just make sure they don't share cups, eat after each other, etc.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• OTC cold medicine is not recommended for children under 6 years old, because a lot of it has overlapping ingredients. So if you are using a different medicine for cold symptoms and cough, you may inadvertently overdose your child. Best to call your doctor's office, use tylenol and motrin alternating every four to six hours, make sure they are drinking plenty of fluids (eating is secondary at this point), and use a humidifier in their bedroom.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 6:55 PM on Feb. 26, 2009