Would you agree on given an extra tax credit for parents with children with autism?

Currently there are no tax credits for parents of autistic children. Families are going bankrupt trying to meet all the medical, and therapy services for their children. Families who do not receive services from state or local agencies should be entitle to tax credits or compensation.

Sunny405

Asked by Sunny405 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If they did offer, it would be so awesome. I am thankful our health insurance covers some things, and the Regional Center covers other things, but speech therapy, and OT therapy copays are adding up. ABA therapy alone costs 150 an hour with the company we use and that is where we see the most improvement with her (thankful Regional Covers that but only 10 hours). And of course vitamins, meds, everything adds up.

And we dont qualify for SSI.
    Preciosasnenas

Answer by Preciosasnenas at 7:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Would this be over and above the medical costs you can claim at the end of the year not covered by insurance?

Answer by gemgem at 2:03 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No. Does that mean that parents who have children with any other kind of illness would get one too?
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• "Families who do not receive services from state or local agencies should be entitle to tax credits or compensation." for them i guess, but why wouldnt you get services with a child with autism, wouldnt that be covered by the americans with disabilities act?? idk!! that sucks !! i dont know anyone with a kid on the spectrum that doesnt get free preschool plus extra therapy at home for it. if there are people going bankrupt over it yes they should get help, but not the ones that already get free childcare and therapy..
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes, because I imagine the cost of caring for an autistic child would be more than for one with out autism
    raenad

Answer by raenad at 2:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The government isn't responsible to subsidize this kind of stuff. That's what your local church and family and friends are for.
    Anonymous

• I have a child with autism and the cost is a little more but not more then having a child with any other disorder. Insurance covers 99% of the costs involved. My sons gone through therapy, behavior therapy, and is on medication to help with his blood pressure and fits associated with it. At the end of the year we itemize and claim any medical that isnt covered on my son and any one else in the family. I dont think we should get special tax credits because we have an autistic child unless it is going to be offered to any family with a child with any other developmental issue of any kind.

Answer by gemgem at 2:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Don't people who have children with disabilaties, get social security disability any ways?

Answer by louise2 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• No not always. I have two special needs children and dont get any SSI for either one of them. My autistic son is high functioning so we didnt qualify and honestly I didnt push it. My other son I could have also gottenit for but again didnt. Some make too much as well I think? Either way no not all parents are able to get SSI.

Answer by gemgem at 2:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• 'The government isn't responsible to subsidize this kind of stuff. That's what your local church and family and friends are for."

Imagine that you have to provide to your daughter $300 worth of prescription drugs every month and your private insurance only covers 50% would you go to church and ask them for $50 every month because your budget is not enough.
    Sunny405

Answer by Sunny405 at 2:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2009