No cry success?

Well I am just wondering if anyone has actually been successful in getting their LO to sleep all night without doing CIO. We have been working on it for a month and I am still getting up 3 times a night. It is better, but has been stuck here for the last two weeks. I just wish I could get some sleep. Also how to get them back to sleep without nursing or crying. It seems if I don't nurse him he gets upset and is wide awake and then I am up for a few hours trying to get him down again without the crying and fuss. I also have to nurse him to sleep every nap and bedtime and that takes so much time in my already short day and it is seeming to just take longer. He is 12 months old now and I know he should be capable of going all night without eating.

MelissaLea84

Asked by MelissaLea84 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I assume you mean nursing as in breastfeeding. I know formula stays with a baby longer, if it's possible for you to use.

You need to put your baby to sleep when he's drowsy, but BEFORE he falls asleep on the bottle. He's waking up and saying to himself, "hey, where's my bottle?" It's like you or your husband falling asleep with your pillow and waking up with it gone...wouldn't you be upset and fully awake looking for it? He needs to learn to fall asleep with no bottle to be able to fall back asleep without it in the middle of the night. (In other words, he's probably not really hungry, just using the bottle as a sleeping crutch.)
    Anonymous

• Yeah I mean breastfeeding. That is a good idea. Thanks for the feedback. I am beginning to wonder if it is even possible when everyone I know is like just let him cry. I just don't want to do that. My little gift to him I guess.
    MelissaLea84

Answer by MelissaLea84 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have! I used the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizebeth Pantley. I night weaned him with no tears at all. He does still nurse to sleep at times but only because I want to. About %40 of the time my husband puts him to sleep.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• well i lay my 18 month old daughter who i just got off of breastfeeding 4 days ago and yeah she still knows that its there but i tell her no cheche and she'll fuss but she ends up falling asleep with me rubbing her chest or if she is really fighting her sleep i'll have to walk around with her laying on my shoulder.
    mommyoftwo303

Answer by mommyoftwo303 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The suggestions the ladies have made are good. But, I really have to disagree that formula would make your child sleep longer. That isn't true. At all.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:39 AM on Feb. 25, 2009