How do I clean an area rug?

My area rug is BRIGHT RED and it bleeds easily so I can't use my carpet shampoer on it or it will bleed red dye everywhere and possibly ruin the machine. Help me please because my son just threw up all over it and it smells horrible even though i just scrubbed it down with Spot Shot and a rag.

guam_mama

Asked by guam_mama at 2:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If it really isn't color-fast and will bleed if moisture is applied, then your only hope of saving it is probably to take it to a laundry dry cleaner. Dry cleaning is really not very effective, but it may be the only choice you have if the rug is a bleeder. I wouldn't expect miracles, but a dry cleaner who also cleans rugs should be able to look at it and tell you if they can do anything to help or it it's a lost cause. You could also attempt a dry cleaning yourself by buying some dry cleaning compound (like Capture or Carbona) and trying it. Delicate or non-colorfast fabrics on rugs and upholstery are very difficult to maintain with children and pets in the house for exactly this reason. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• You can try SNAP heavy duty and snap diinfectant as a spot treatment both products are awsome, I haven't found a stain that it has not gotten out.

MOTIVESMOMMY

Answer by MOTIVESMOMMY at 11:33 PM on Feb. 27, 2009