Is this Braxton Hicks?

I'm now 32 weeks and have been getting these really tightening feelings around my stomach, they are uncomfortable most of the time and I can't believe how hard my stomach actually gets during the tightening! They last about 30-60 seconds and sometimes for longer. I want to know if these are Braxton Hicks that everyone seems to be talking about? If they are, is there any way to slow them down? or is it just best to relax? This is my first pregnancy. :)

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, that sounds like Braxton Hicks to me. I never noticed them till my 3rd pregnancy. You will more than likely notice them up until you deliver. I had them daily, mainly after work. I thought I was in labor 3 times, but it was false. Dont get excited until your water breaks or the contractions are very painful, regular, and are 5-7 minutes apart. If you go the hospital before you're at that stage, they will just send you right back home.

Good luck!
    nsteinerlpn

Answer by nsteinerlpn at 2:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• if they are coming fast count them i had that and yes it started as braxton hicks but then i ended up at L&D to stop them they were getting to close but yes that is it if they get painful liek double over cant move painful go in right away if you have more then 6 in an hour go in right away but yes braxton hicks are tightening of your stomach and they do last about that long at least for me and my friends it did
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes the are Braxton Hicks. There is nothing you can do about them. Just relax. It is your body's way of practicing for the big day!!! Hang in there:)
    jewel2211

Answer by jewel2211 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/true-false-labor

False labor Contractions. Check out the above link..pretty good information. Hope it helps.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I'm also 32 weeks right now (on my second) and I have been having a ton of BH contractions. I just asked my doctor about it and she said it's only a concern IF you are having 5 or more and hour and that is AFTER you have emptied your bladder, rested on your left side with a glass of water.
    a little awkward but: I've also noticed that I get them more often when there is any bit of constipation.

krisdecam

Answer by krisdecam at 3:58 PM on Feb. 24, 2009