Who wants to play a game for Obama points?

Can we get the conservatives here to guess HOW Zero will tackle the halving of the deficit in 4 years in his speech tonight? And those of us who guess right can put 10 Obama points on their profile tomorrow. By day 100, we can see who has the most Obama points for guessing what he'll do next issue after issue. I have no idea what the "prize" will be. Tickets to a Sheryll Crow concert? BYOTP

akinbottom2

Asked by akinbottom2 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I predict most of his address will revolve around the words "if," "could," "might," and "hopefully." Because there's not a damn thing he can do and he knows it, but if he makes it sound pretty, he can convince enough people to squeak through the next election. I also suspect we may see the encore performance of "yes we can" but it will ring a little hollow without the cult of Oprah in the room to echo it back gospel style to him. He will get a lot of undeserved applause, and spend a lot of times with the aw shucks grin telling them to stop. At one point, he will go for a laugh, and no matter how inappropriate it is, nobody will call him on it tomorrow. Every mention he makes of inheriting this economy will exclude every reference to the Democratic congress he was part of that made it worse. Oh, and at some point he'll throw in a reference to his family so you'll remember he's just a regular guy struggling like us all...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:22 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Cutting the military. Winding down the war which will save money. Increasing taxes on those who earn more then $250k a yr because they already pay for everything, why not make them pay more? He will eliminate jobs in the Govt that he thinks arent working right or combine jobs. He will stop giving military pay raises. He will stop making new things for the military. He will cut reelistment or enlistment bonuses. He will stop building base housing and not refurbish what is there already. Those are a few I can think of.

Answer by gemgem at 3:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Magic?

His winsome smile and endless charm?

Oh, sorry, You wanted real replies. :)

I'm still baffled how one advocates for the largest spending bill in history and then the following week attempts to follow it up with promises of cutting the deficit.

Taxing the "wealthy." Cutting finding to faith based non-profits?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:17 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• sorry that was FUNDING not Finding. really. I must not attempt to spell while multi-tasking. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:18 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• "Increasing taxes on those who earn more then $250k a yr because they already pay for everything, why not make them pay more?"

Funniest thing I've heard all day. We make WAY below $250,000 and get taxed about 15thousand a year..I would have to say that we chip in as well..

And FYI poster above me No plans to cut the military. No word on what will happen with pay raises for the military although everyone just got a raise in jan like they do every Jan. Reenlistment bonuses have only ever been allowed for enlisted and not officers and even then they are few and far between these days and finally, most bases have gone with privatized housing..do you know what that means?

I think I'll start a point system for how many times I have to see Palin on TV crying about how unfairly she's been treated. When you sound like an idiot that's bound to happen!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:20 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Oh, and some of you need to look to other sources beside Fox news and forwarded emails! :)
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:21 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Jackal move along. The entire realm heard all the hate and loathing the last 8 years including ridicule and mockery. Suddenly your claws come out because people don't agree with the things the great Obama is doing? Please.
    Anonymous

• Not really a fair question since he has already said he would let the Bush tax cuts expire on the "rich" and he would use money from the draw down of Iraq( wonder where he is getting money for more troops in Afghanistan).
    I think he's really fishing about this since he has no inclination to even try and cut budgets until 2012 just before he is booted out. He's dreaming. Either his wish list of programs or his deficit cuts will not be happening anytime.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I think his only plan/idea that will come to fruition is more taxes! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly if I were president I'd start tracking the taxes we receive. Missing money is a HUGE problem in Washington. Then I'd start paying back our debt (we pay 1 BILLION a day in interest alone.) I would cut out as many programs as possible and give the money back to the people who would in turn use the money to help support each other, create jobs, and actually stimulate the economy. I would still tax the people... but at about a 10% rate which would decrease as we continued to cut programs. The more money we allow people to keep, the more they spend. When they hand it over to another company- the Government takes another 10%. So really it wouldn't hurt the Government at all and it would benefit the people! JMO
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Okay ANON..grow some pelotas and don't hide. I didn't bad mouth Bush..the country as a whole did that for me so I didn't have to. The one poster said some things and I replied to her..There's things President Obama has done and will do that I won't agree with but so many of you won't even give him a chance. Cause you know, we can all tell what a great president he is after 4 weeks in office.

And thanks for calling me a dog you troll.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 3:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009