just pondering this!!

if we are the richest nation in the world then why cant people afford to live here?

so many countries are so poorer then are own then why is it that many families live in poverty even though they work two or three jobs and they do not live outside of their means?

who is at fault the American people or the American government for not looking out for the American people? or is it both??

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 3:01 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sorry, I guess I didn't catch it all. I blame society, tv, media, radio, advertising, peer pressure, everything the American way of life is now based on. I believe a family can live on one wage in the US. It won't be a fun one, but a family can do it. The parents should be filling needs and wants are left to holidays and birthday parties. I say never rely on the government for anything. I saw an interview with a UAW worker 2 days ago, and the family was complaining about how they have to live now. And I thought, wtf, we lived like that as a family for the last 70 years on our little plot of land in the midwest. Since when is brownbagging your lunch a hardship?
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• both- stupid spending's of us american people and goverment taking our money and always wanting more :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It's the American people. We are adults and living under our own free will. We have freedom which means we have the freedom to make right and wrong decisions. If you fail, it's your responsibility to pick yourself up, not the government. People are getting too lazy!
    Anonymous

• Were responsible for ourselves. No one makes us spend beyond our means.

Answer by gemgem at 3:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Americans just simply want to much. I do not agree much with the Oprah mentality, but when she built her school she said in response to opposition why she didnt build something for American kids. And her response was " African children when asked what they want say I want to go to school" American children when asked say they want cell phones, ipods and new computers. I had to agree with her on that one.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• did any of you actually read the question it states that the person in the question live with in there means not out side of there means.. so how are they at fault..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• so akin is that the fault of the government or the fault of the parents for filling needs not wants??
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 3:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• American people are at fault.
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Our poor live very differently from the poor in other countries. Do you realize 90% of the people in the world will NEVER own a car, and yet many of our poor citizens do. Most of our poor (not all) own TVs, have phones, running water, indoor plumbing, etc. For poor people in other countries, these would be luxuries.

What exactly makes someone poor, anyway? Is it a number the government sets? I have friends who make ends meet with 5 people living on $39K a year; even putting money in savings. I know smaller families who struggle on twice that.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Both.

Also, "poor" is a very subjective thing. For example, lets say we have a family here in the States. They have no insurance. There are 5 members of their family (2 parents, 3 kids), they live in a 2 bedroom house with a living room and an eat in kitchen and one bathroom. They can barely afford groceries, so they eat things like generic oatmeal for breakfast (if they eat breakfast), a bologna or peanut butter sandwich for lunch (sometimes with cheese or with jellly) and they have something cheap for dinner - soup beans, or mac and cheese and a hotdog and a can of veggies. They have heat, but keep it set at about 65 or so and bundle up, because it's so expensive. They have a tv, but no cable or anything, they only watch the "free" tv (what you're going to need a converter box for soon). They have 1 old, rusty car, and they go to the library to use the internet, they have no computer.

They're dirt poor, right?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:34 PM on Feb. 24, 2009