Ok so I went and took my 1 hr glucose test, and failed. So I went and took my 3 hr glucose test, and failed 3/4. Which they said makes me have Gestational Diabetes. Im 22 and I am expecting my first child, so I really have no idea what all that means. Please if your have any pointers and advice to help me keep my son and myself safe and healthy please let me know.

LouWho422

Asked by LouWho422 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had it with 2 of my pregnancies. Theyll likely send you to a nutrition class to learn about controlling your blood sugar. You will probably have to test your blood using a meter after meals and between. Some pointers, cut down on soda, and any refined sugar like cookies, candy, cereal with alot of sugar, watch break intake since it turns to sugar and if youre feeling shaky with low blood sugar reach for orange juice or peanut butter not a candy bar.

Answer by gemgem at 3:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• This is something that you should discuss with your doctor. Your results can vary..,.you can be insulin dependent, or you can control it with diet...you may have to check your blood sugar every day, maybe a couple times a day, or you may not need to check it at all.

Really, people can give you their opinions and share their stories, but it really depends on how bad your glucose. You need to talk with your doctor to determine the best route for you to continue on from here.

(Just as a side note: Most women with Gestational Diabetes only have it through pregnancy. It generally goes away shortly after birth)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:04 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• What do they mean by failed? What were the numbers? Talk to a dietician about doing lower carbs instead of insulin and start checking your blood sugars. Morning before breakfast, two hours after each meal. Doctor will be giving you a range that your blood sugar numbers should fall into.
    If you have more questions message me, I had it with both my last pregnancies.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I also had it and it went unnoticed because i am normally hypoglycemic, they are going to watch your weight gain, because i wasnt treated properly i put on 80 pounds with my oldest. At birht my son had to be tested right away becasue they feared he was diabetic he was 2 weeks early anda very big boy (luckily he wasnt diabetic he was just a big baby)

Listen to everything they tell you and eat they way they plan out for you, I have diabetics in my family and the best thing to do is to follow the instructions from your doctor and nutritionist.

There are some great diabetic recipe websites and cook books out there, plus your doctors office should have a booklet (i have seen it before) that lays out the dos and donts of eating and amounts that are safe and unsafe.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:09 PM on Feb. 24, 2009