Are there any other mommies out there who's child has speech delays or low muscle tone?

My daughter, at 21 months, still can't walk or talk- she was premature, which has delayed her developmentally. We've had a therapist come around 3-4x a month to help her since she was around 9 months old.

It's so hard not to compare, and sometimes I feel like a failure as a mother because of it. I read to her constantly, we talk with her like she's an adult, and I am always showing her what things are and asking her questions. She is very good at receptive communication and I believe she is quite smart, but she can't really say any words yet- mama, ball, bath, oh boy, no... she does sign language and points and nods her head yes/no, but... still, it's not enough, she is behind her peers by a lot. The therapist said she should be saying upwards of 50 words by now. She doesn't even say 10.

She still can't walk, either, but she is getting VERY close. She finally started crawling at around 18 months.

weezer_cookie

Asked by weezer_cookie at 3:19 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• im not like u sweetie and u have my prayers my son is 2yrs old and is still speech delayed for no other reason then he wants to be..we talk to him everyday and read and point to things and say their names but at 2 he only says about 30-35 words...she will come around in her own time when shes ready for it..and she will catch up quickly..one way we are helping him is by putting him in day care around other kids that can talk and walk..this may help her as well if day cares not an option try play dates...good luck
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My 3 year old is also seeing a speech therapist. Even now we can barely understand him but he's gettin better. I always compared him to his cousins too. We have about 3 other boys in our family that are the same age as my son and it would hurt to see how much they talked and my son was still using gibberish. You're not a bad mother, you're doing something about it. My oldest also had speech delays, now he is in the gifted program at school! So you never know, she may blow you guys away one day with her smarts! Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• this is my area of knowledge, my daughter didnt start walking until 17 months, i took her to a specialist,( thinking autisum) well she had speech delay too. the doctors didnt believe she had autisum.. so they diagnosed her with PDD.. a delay with speech.. she gores to a special school, where they learn a whole bunch,shes been going there for almost 3 years andit has helped her out alot! shes pretty much normal now, still behind kids her age but nothing like when she was 2. good luck to you, you can do it. im a single parent and i can do it!! you'll get through this:)
    independentgrl

Answer by independentgrl at 4:50 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My daughter has digeorge syndrome and she is 21 months she been put at 15 months old in terms of speech. my daughter attends a special needs class once a week. She has a develmental worker come to the house twice a week and she has her teacher come to our house once a week. so pretty much every day of the week except for weekends my daughter is having speech therphy. She still only says a few words. Right now her favorite is word is apple. clear as day. she does says a few words and sentences but she is still slow. she has a voculbarly of about 15 words but that's with all the help we've gotten.
    give it time it will come and then you wont be able to shut your kid up lol
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 28, 2009