3 month old daughter has a cough....

It sounds like she has burgers in her throat, not sure what the correct term for that is. Can I give her anything and do I need to take her to the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't give babies that young anything. I'd just call the doctor if I were you.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The correct term would be "phlegm" or "mucous"

A lot of times if they are not showing any other signs of a cold or anything like that, a small cough will be caused by excess saliva, which is caused by teething, even in the earliest stages (yes they can teeth at 3 months). If she gets a fever, or the cough gets worse, then I would take her to see her doctor.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• OP here: She has been drooling for awhile now and I mean a lot to where she needs to wear bibs all day long, since she wets her shirts. So she might be teething, she doesn't have any burgers in her nose either or has any type of fever. She has been coughing since yesterday and today it's about the same.

Anonymous

• thanks for the correct term!
    Anonymous

• My 3 month old has the same type of cough and its due to the extra phelm in their mouth from teething. That is why they drool alot during the teething stages and some of it doesn't drool out so they swallow it.
    Anonymous

• My 3 month old is starting to teeth as well and has the same type of cough. He also has pflemmy spit up. Do watch the cough though because my LO also just had the flu and croup which started as a little stuffyness and coughing and then he ended up in the hospital for 2 nights. Just trust your gut and call the doc if you feel you need to. Good luck!
    SoSleepy

Answer by SoSleepy at 10:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009