Which is better a Family Doctor or a Pediatrician?

I take my daughter to a Family Doctor or a general doctor whatever. I didn't per say choose him but when she was born I didn't have a doctor for her, so my doctor called him and chose him for me. He's good, but I'm just wondering if I should switch her to a Pediatrician?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are happy with him I see no reason to switch. If you feel like you aren't getting your questions answered or the doc isn't understanding of issues with children then ask around and find out where other mothers are going. I wouldn't switch just because he's not a ped. but if you are not satisfied or feel something is lacking then check around.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I keep my kids with a ped. They are specialized in kids and more aware of what is up to date, a family doctor is good hubby and i see the same on but they also see many older patients and honestly i just feel its a better enviroment to take my kids to a pedi. they typically have better bedside manner and if they dont find another one, a good pedi will get eye level with your child and intereact with them and involve them in the appt.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:30 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• pediatricians are better. if you have a problem at night when the office is closed you can call the on call doctor and talk to them about it and they'll set up your appointment that night.. i would never think about taking my son to a family dr before the age of two.. my SIL does that with my nephew and it drives me nuts. pediatricians specialize in that..they know what abnormalities to look for and listen for so they could catch something a family doctor may not
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I changed my kids to a family dr and it was a bad choice. They have my kids meds they shouldnt have and werent aware of new drugs better for kids. After that we went back to a pediatrician. With that Id say pediatrician.

Answer by gemgem at 3:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It all depends on the doctor. If you like the doctor and feel comfortable with his care I wouldn't switch. I used a Family Practice physician for my pregnancy, delivery, and well baby care for both of my children.

My father was a Family Practice physician and you couldn't find a better children's doctor anywhere. He has been dead for almost 30 years and I still run into people who tell me how wonderful he was with their children.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:02 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• The best doctor is the doctor that listens to you and cares about your baby.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• In 30 yrs of experience, this is what I have learned. A Pediatrician thinks he knows it all.......A general Praction knows he does not know it all. I have had better luck with the GP's with my children then with peds. GP's listen to the mother. At the age of 1 1/2 my daughter pointed down her throat and said ouch, and touched her ear and said the same thing, when I called the Ped and he saw us, he explained all babies played with their ears, only to find, after 10 mins of listening to him, she had an ear infection and sore throat. With the GP who takes care of my 16 yr from the start, listened to everything...........If you like your GP and he listens to you, stay, if your child has a health problem that needs specialty care, then find a ped.
    Nobull

Answer by Nobull at 4:32 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• My former and current general practioner knew/know NOTHING about pediatrics. If you area comfortable with his credentials, go for it though!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• both of my children see our family doctor. he's great with the boys. he knows us by name and remembers the small details. my younger son has a birth defect, but still sees our doc, the only specialist he sees is a surgeon.

sometimes a family doc can be better than a specialist, because they know the family. many of the are also certified in peds, ob,geriatic,or emergency medicine. ours not only works his office, but our local er too
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 12:37 PM on Feb. 25, 2009