My son is starting kindergarten in Sept. He will be going 2 half days and one full day and the next week is 2 half days. And if I want him the go full time, which is 5 half days then I have to pay $300 a month. I am not happy with this schedule and was wondering if anyone has this kind of schedule and how you like it.

momluja

Asked by momluja at 3:37 PM on Feb. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is this public school?
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:38 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Yes this is a public school and all of the surrounding public schools are full time for free.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 3:41 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• That is absurd. He needs to be in full time school for free just like the rest of the children in your school district. Go talk to the school board and find out what the reasons are.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:42 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I am upset because I will be the one doing all of the teaching, if I don't want him to forget what he learns that is. I might as well homeschool for kindergarten.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 3:44 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Why don't you do that. He would get a way better education and you can control what he learns. I want to home school, but I think that it will be outlawed by the time we get there. The legislation is already in the works.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I have been concidering that but I don't have a lot of patients for that, I work with my son a lot right now and it usually ends up in a fight. He goes to a montessori preschool right now and he loves being around other kids.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 3:51 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• I would definately go talk to the school board and find out why the school that you son is slated to go to is a pay school if you want him there full time or home school. Those seem to be your options.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:57 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Something is def. fishy. Public schools don't charge like that. Only private schools. Public schools sometimes charge for bus riders...but other than that none I ever heard of or dealt with. MY grand daughter is in Kinder this year. she attends 7:30- 2:30 M-F.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:08 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• It is the Sumner school disct. in Washington state. My friends daughter is in it and she hates the schedule and can't afford to pay the $300 a month for full time. But the full time fills up really fast., which is bad for working parents.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 4:11 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Wow..just went to the district website..figures it's Washington State..sorry..I have an Auntthat lives in WA and it's more backward than the hills of Kentucky, Even if you can pay the money your child must be screened and chosen for their program. Basically they are saying Kindergarten is NOT necessary. Here is the link:

http://www.sumner.wednet.edu/forparents/pages/KRegistration.html

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:39 PM on Feb. 24, 2009